Powered by Blogger.
Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Healthy, Vegetarian & Tasty

As many of you know I was a hippy child growing up. I have fond memories of dancing on a lawn in a plaza to live music as I wore my favorite green dress with mirrors embroidered in it, at the ripe 'ol age of 3. I was one of those "communal kids," who made friends with everyone I met and got passed around as I told stories, danced and shared my infinite wisdom. I was also a vegetarian until I was approximately 13 and so vegetarian food and tofu still hold a special place in my heart. And so at times I crave a really flavorful, healthy, vegetarian meal as kind of a comfort food, ya know going back to my roots.




This past weekend I made Thai Noodle Salad with Sauteed Tofu. I actually decided to make this meal my pre-race meal as I thought the noodles would provide the necessary carbs and the tofu would give me a good source of protein...and well the spice just helps to speed up your metabolism and burn calories. And since I am no longer a spring chicken I can use all the help I can get in staying fit.

This recipe came from Cooking Light and I loved the spice from the chili garlic sauce, the kick from the ginger and the texture contrast of the noodles, tofu and lettuce. I also learned some great tofu cooking techniques that I will definitely use again. So you take the tofu and cut it into 3/4" thick slabs and layer on several layers of paper towels. Top with more towels and place a cast iron skillet or heavy skillet on top and let it sit for 30 min to take out the excess liquid out of the tofu. When the tofu is dry it is easier to saute and it gives it a more crisp exterior and soft interior.


Then marinate the tofu in lime juice, soy sauce, chili garlic sauce, sugar, ginger, garlic and crushed red pepper for 2 hours. Finally cook the tofu in peanut oil. You do want to use peanut oil as it has a high cooking point and it is very hard to burn. It also adds some nice flavor. However, I did read an article that said if you have a peanut allergy than sesame oil is a good substitute. Saute the tofu until it is crisp, browning on all sides.


This recipe called for rice vermicelli which I couldn't find so I used organic Japanese ramen noodles and those worked great. I also read that you could use angel hair pasta as a substitute if you can't find the rice vermicelli so you do have options...I love options.


The dressing can be prepared at any point. It is a combination of lime juice, chili garlic sauce, soy sauce, peanut oil, sugar, Thai fish sauce, ginger, salt and crushed red pepper. Yes, this dish is definitely on the spicy side so if you aren't a fan of spice I would recommend you omit the crushed red pepper and decrease the amount of chili garlic sauce or just skip this blog all together and wait for something different tomorrow.

Finally, combine the noodles, romaine lettuce, shredded carrots, cilantro, tofu and dressing and toss to combine. Here is the actual recipe:


Tofu:
3/4 pound firm water-packed tofu, drained
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice $
1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
1 tablespoon chili garlic sauce (such as Lee Kum Kee)
1 teaspoon sugar
2 teaspoons grated peeled fresh ginger
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon peanut oil
Noodles:
3/4 pound uncooked rice vermicelli
Dressing:
1/4 cup fresh lime juice $
3 tablespoons chili garlic sauce (such as Lee Kum Kee)
2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
2 tablespoons peanut oil
1 tablespoon Thai fish sauce (such as Three Crabs)
2 teaspoons sugar
2 teaspoons grated peeled fresh ginger
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
Remaining ingredients:
2 cups thinly sliced romaine lettuce $
1 cup shredded carrot $
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/4 teaspoon salt
Preparation

1. To prepare tofu, cut tofu into 3/4-inch-thick slices. Arrange tofu slices in a single layer on several layers of paper towels. Top with several more layers of paper towels; top with a cast-iron skillet or other heavy pan. Let stand 30 minutes. Remove tofu from paper towels; cut into 3/4-inch cubes. Combine tofu, 2 tablespoons juice, and next 6 ingredients (through garlic) in a zip-top plastic bag. Seal and marinate at room temperature 2 hours, turning bag occasionally.
2. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 tablespoon oil to pan, swirling to coat; heat 30 seconds. Remove tofu from bag; discard marinade. Add tofu to pan; sauté 5 minutes or until crisp, carefully turning to brown all sides. Remove from heat.
3. To prepare noodles, while tofu marinates, place vermicelli in a large bowl. Cover with boiling water. Let stand 20 minutes or until tender. Drain and rinse under cold water; drain well. Set noodles aside.
4. To prepare dressing, combine 1/4 cup juice and next 8 ingredients (through 1/4 teaspoon red pepper), stirring with a whisk.
5. Combine vermicelli, lettuce, and remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Add dressing; toss well to combine. Top with tofu.


This recipe was excellent left over and I have been eating it non-stop for the last 4 days. I actually finished the last of it today for lunch and I am a little sad...guess I need to move onto something else. Cheers!

0 comments:

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews