Powered by Blogger.
Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Life Lessons From the Kitchen-Gnocchi w/Pancetta and Asparagus

So tonight I made Gnocchi with Pancetta and Asparagus. Let me start by saying this meal was ok. Not Earth shattering amazing and not so horrific that the gnocchi could not cross my lips. It was just a mediocre middle of the week meal. How is that for marketing? Eh.



Let me tell you what I did love...I loved the pancetta!! If you are unfamiliar with pancetta it is in the bacon family...now we are talking, right? Pancetta is cured unsmoked Italian bacon and it is usually found next to the prosciutto, salami, pepperoni, etc. It is salty, fatty and yummy!! I seriously have not met anything in the bacon family that I didn't love and the pancetta did not disappoint.

Now let me tell you what did disappoint a bit...the gnocchi. So this recipe called for vacuum packed gnocchi...so you purchase it already made and it was a little on the gummy and slimey side. Next time I think I need to conquer my fear of making homemade gnocchi and just do it...yes just like the Nike slogan...but in relation to cooking and not sports. If you are unfamiliar with gnocchi they are kind of a cross between pasta and potatoes. They are little dumplings that are made with potato, flour and usually egg. When they are fresh they should be very smooth and kind of melt in your mouth. These just didn't quite have that consistency. I even thought I was buying a high quality packaged gnocchi because it said,"Made in Italy," on it and there was a sad looking Italian girl...seriously how could you go wrong with a sad Italian girl? I don't know but somehow I did.


I do have to say this recipe was easy and it was perfect after day 8 of a 31 day running challenge. I got home from work, ran my 40 minutes, drank a beer (not because I wanted to just because I was trying to put some carbs back in my body...yes this is a justification for drinking) and made my gnocchi.

So cook the gnocchi according to the package directions. This one was super easy, boil water and cook for 2-3 minutes. Just remember to reserve a 1/4 cup of the cooking liquid to add back into the pan at the end. Nothing like realizing this after you have dumped all of the liquid down the drain of your sink.


Next saute the pancetta for 3 minutes and then remove and drain on a paper towel. Next saute the shallots and asparagus for 5 minutes. Add the garlic and saute for another minute. I personally do not like my asparagus mushy but this was a little too crunchy for me so I thought the asparagus could have cooked a tad bit longer, but that is just my opinion. Next add the gnocchi, lemon juice, reserved cooking liquid, pancetta, salt and pepper. Serve with shaved Parmesan cheese. Voila!!


1 (16-ounce) package vacuum-packed gnocchi (such as Vigo)
2 ounces pancetta, cut into thin strips (about 1/2 cup)
1/4 cup thinly sliced shallots
1 pound asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 cup (1 ounce) shaved Parmesan cheese
Preparation

1. Cook gnocchi according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain in a colander over a bowl, reserving 1/4 cup cooking liquid. Keep warm.
2. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add pancetta; sauté 3 minutes or until lightly browned. Transfer to a paper towel–lined plate.
3. Add shallots and asparagus to pan; sauté 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in garlic; sauté 1 minute. Add gnocchi, pancetta, reserved cooking liquid, juice, salt, and pepper to pan; cook 1 minute. Serve with cheese.


And because I know that you all love my random rants let me just throw one in at the end. Don't you hate when you bite your own face? I bit my cheek the other day and it just hurts like a mo fo. It just sucks...you feel lame, it gets swollen so you bite it again which makes you feel even more lame and it just makes you wonder how in the hell do you bite a part of your own body, right? Oy!! Cheers!!

0 comments:

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews