Powered by Blogger.
Saturday, March 15, 2014

Living the Life and Making Fried Rice

So let me start by apologizing for being such a sporadic writer lately...however after my 28 day detox I needed to get out and live a little...and well I have definitely made up for lost time. In the past week or so I have:

  • Discovered that after a detox I am a total light weight...buzzed after two mimosas, really? I feel like I am losing my touch. 
  • Flown to Arizona for a 24 hr trip to celebrate one of my besties birthdays. Happy Birthday LP!

  • Gone to a Lakers game with a guy I met on a plane coming back from Arizona...he was good looking how could I say no, right? And the Lakers won! Woot woot!

  • Been at a bar in which I was one of two people in the entire place...not including the bartender...but the beer was good and I laughed a lot!
  • Got lost in the Santa Monica Mountains (at least I think that is where we were) for 3 hours...but I took some really great pics...so many that my phone died which could have been detrimental if a rescue attempt became necessary.

  • Got attacked by a tree branch while scaling the mountain trying to find the trail again

  • Celebrated the fact that we were still alive after a 3 hour hike in the middle of nowhere...just because the trail ended and I thought the dried up river bed was another trail...and my friend blindly followed me....what?
The "no outlet" sign could have been a clue, but we didn't see it until we found our way back...oopsie
  • Made cookies with a 7 year old...yes he knows me...look he is smiling...that is not a look of fear...and they were awesome Nutella peanut butter cookies

  • Talked to my ex-husband...isn't it always great to be reminded of why you wanted a divorce.

And oh yeah last night I made Chicken Fried Rice...sometimes I get side tracked and I forget that I am writing a food blog. I know that you all love the commentary about my life, but I am sure you also get hungry at times. So I haven't been cooking much, probably because I have been so busy. So last night I decided to stay home and enjoy a quiet night with Miss Kitty. 

This rice has a lot of great flavor, however I do have to warn you that the texture is not the same as traditional fried rice. I am not sure if that is because I used brown rice or if it was just too moist (gosh I hate that word, it just sounds nasty). Anyway I love the flavor of the ginger, the spice from the crushed red pepper, the nutty flavor from the sesame oil and the saltiness from all of the soy sauce. It has a nice crunch from the peanuts, water chestnuts and red bell pepper. It is truly a yummy rice dish, but it just doesn't totally remind me of fried rice. 


To begin with, combine the soy sauce, sesame oil, crushed red pepper and brown sugar. I used smoked brown sugar and that added a nice flavor. 


In a wok or skillet, heat the 2T of canola oil. Saute the diced red bell pepper, onion and green onion. Cook for 3 minutes or until tender. 


Add ginger and garlic and cook for another minute. 


Next add the cold brown rice, diced cooked chicken and water chestnuts. Don't forget to use leftover rice as this decreases the moisture content and makes it....well fried rice. I also just used a rotisserie chicken and that worked wonderfully and made this recipe that much easier. 


Add the soy sauce mixture to the rice/veggie mix and cook for 2 minutes. 


Serve with chopped peanuts and green onions. 

Here is the actual recipe:

1/4 cup less-sodium soy sauce
1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
1 teaspoon dark sesame oil
3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
2 tablespoons canola oil
2 cups red bell peppers, diced (about 2)
1 cup onion, diced
1/4 cup green onion, thinly sliced and divided
2 tablespoons fresh ginger, peeled and minced
2 large garlic cloves, minced
5 cups brown rice, cooked and cold
2 cups chicken, cooked and diced (about 1 pound)
1 (8 ounce) can sliced water chestnuts, drained and chopped
1/3 cup dry-roasted unsalted peanuts
Directions:

1. Combine first 4 ingredients in a small bowl; stir well with a whisk.

2. Heat canola oil in a wok or large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add bell peppers, diced onion, and 2 tablespoons green onions to pan; stir-fry 3 minutes or until tender. Add ginger and garlic; stir-fry 1 minute. Add rice, chicken, and water chestnuts; stir-fry for 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated, stirring gently. Add soy sauce mixture; cook 2 minutes more, tossing to coat. Sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons green onions and peanuts.


Well I am off for more adventures...today my day includes working a snack shack at a little league baseball field, getting my ass kicked by a trainer and any other adventures I may stumble upon. Cheers!

0 comments:

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews