Powered by Blogger.
Monday, March 31, 2014

Potato Hash w/Poached Eggs

Sure I love to run, but realistically I run for food. I run because I love to eat and drink wine and I also love to look fit. Yes, I can admit that I am a tad bit vain and I like to fit into my size 4 jeans while downing a beer and a Dodger dog. So often times I am running with a goal in mind, sure there is always a mileage goal because well you need to know when to stop, right? But for me there is often a food or wine goal in the back of my mind as well, ya know I am a good multi-tasker.


Yesterday I went and ran with my running club. I am trying to get back into the running club thing because they push me and take me out of my comfort zone. So yesterday we were scheduled to run 5 miles, which is a doable distance for me, training or not and I was confident in my completion.

However, I wanted to kick up the speed a little, but I needed some added motivation and breakfast is motivation enough for me. So I went through my 5 mile run at a 9 minute mile pace with visions of poached eggs and potato/sausage hash dancing through my head. And I am not sure if this was just a really good recipe or if the 5 mile anticipation made it more than it was, but this is just downright yummy!!



The potato hash is chock full of vegetables and sausage and it has a nice hint of heat to it, from the sausage and the red pepper flakes. I loved the variation in texture between the hash and the poached egg and it had that nice smokey flavor from the smoked paprika and the cooking process. It was truly, at least for me yesterday, the breakfast of champions.


To begin with, saute the onion, carrot, celery, potatoes, garlic, red pepper flakes, salt and sausage in canola oil, for approximately 15 minutes or until the potatoes are soft.


Meanwhile make the poached eggs, bring water and vinegar to a simmer in a pan, add the eggs and cook for approximately 4 minutes (depending on desired consistency).

Serve the poached eggs over the hash.

Here is the actual recipe:


Ingredients
1 tablespoon canola oil
1/2 medium onion, diced
1 carrot, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
2 large red-skinned potatoes, diced
1/2 pound sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon chopped garlic
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
Kosher salt
1 teaspoon white vinegar
4 large eggs
Freshly ground black pepper

Directions
Heat the canola oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, carrot, celery, potatoes, sausage, paprika, garlic, red pepper flakes and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Saute, stirring frequently, until the potatoes and carrots are tender and the sausage is cooked through, about 15 minutes.

Meanwhile, bring a medium pot of water to a simmer over low heat and add the vinegar. Crack an egg into a small bowl and carefully slide it into the simmering water. Quickly repeat with the remaining eggs. Using a slotted spoon, carefully corral the white of each egg around its yolk. Poach the eggs until the whites are firm, or to the desired degree of doneness, 3 to 5 minutes.

Divide the hash among 4 plates. Top each with a poached egg. Season with salt and black pepper.

Yes, it also totally helps that this is an easy and fast recipe because after 5 miles I am usually ready to eat the world and patience is not a virtue of mine even on a good day.

Cheers!

0 comments:

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews