Powered by Blogger.
Saturday, March 29, 2014

Spring Has Sprung & Balsamic Berries

Living in Southern California you seriously lose the concept of seasons. For example, I was laying out on the patio this afternoon in a tank top and shorts and it is March. However, even though we don't have seasons here we still have a concept of time and so it feels like Spring. Now just in case you wanted to know what Spring feels like in So Cal let me help you:


  • The agricultural fields are growing strawberries...and cilantro...
  • When you go for a run you can smell the orange blossoms...intoxicating!
  • There are bunnies everywhere and I am not just talking about the chocolate kind in the grocery store. 
  • The birds are super loud...they actually keep waking me up...on my day off...at 0630...not sure if I love or hate them...joking it is a joyful sound. 
  • It is no longer 70's...it is closer to 75-80's....ahhh my rough life
  • I stop wearing boots...of course you can tell the season based on fashion
  • I can run at night after work...love affair with Daylight savings time!!
  • I can buy daffodils and tulips at Trader Joe's for my dining room table
  • The grocery store has peeps
  • I start using fake tanning lotion again on my legs because I am wearing shorts again and I don't want to blind people with my whiteness
  • The Easter bunny is at the mall
  • My BFF put fake tulips in her flower boxes...inst-a-Spring
  • Baseball season starts...time to pull out the Dodgers blue


And since it is Spring you need the perfect dessert. For a dinner party the other night I made Balsamic Berries, which uses the strawberries that are in season and pairs them with a mascarpone and whipped cream and a balsamic reduction sauce. I love the contrast of the acidity from the vinegar with the sweetness of the cream paired with the fresh berries. There is also a hint of citrus from lemon zest as well. This dessert would be incredible with a citrusy champagne or prosecco or if you want to add more depth you could easily pair this with a fruit forward port. It is also by far one of the easiest desserts on the planet. 

Now of course I changed this recipe, like I do everything else. The recipe calls for white balsamic vinegar, however I decided to use fig balsamic vinegar which gave it a little more depth of flavor and a little bit of a contrasting color. So to begin with bring the vinegar and sugar to a boil and cook until reduced. Next whip the cream and mascarpone in a mixer, adding an additional 2T of sugar. The consistency will be closer to the consistency of the mascarpone so don't expect it to be as light and fluffy as whipped cream. 

Next toss the strawberries with the lemon zest and vinegar reduction. Top with the mascarpone mixture.


Here is the actual recipe if you want measurements: 

2/3 cup white balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup heavy cream, chilled
1/2 cup mascarpone, chilled
3 cups sliced strawberries
1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
pepper

directions
In small saucepan, boil vinegar and 2 tbsp. sugar until reduced, 8 minutes; cool. Whip cream, mascarpone and remaining 2 tbsp. sugar (do not overbeat). Toss berries with syrup and lemon zest. Top with whipped cream and pepper.

Hope you are all enjoying the Spring in the air! Cheers!

0 comments:

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews