Powered by Blogger.
Saturday, March 8, 2014

My Perfect Morning & Bacon, Egg & Toast Salad w/ OJ Dressing

I love breakfast, whether it's for breakfast or for dinner. It just makes me happy. And tonight was no different. I swear I start smelling the bacon cooking and I am overwhelmed by an instant feeling of euphoria. Seriously, who needs drugs when you have bacon? I do have to say that this recipe, in its original form, calls for Canadian bacon and although I have nothing against Canada the country or the bacon, I prefer "real" bacon and so that is what I used. It gave the salad a nice smokey flavor that paired well with the citrus in the dressing. I loved the textures in this recipe as well from the smooth texture of the egg, the crunch of the fresh vegetables and the toast. Perfection!



Now just in case you wanted to know what makes me happy first thing in the morning let me tell you:

  • Waking up without an alarm clock...I just hate being startled awake and I have tried every alarm clock noise known to man...they all scare me!! Ocean noises....think a tsunami is going to hit the house. Tibetan chimes...bring about a WTF is that noise moment. Owl noises...well that just doesn't wake me up because I fall asleep to the owl outside my window. 
  • Laying in bed and reading a good book...it is like a gradual way to begin your day...slightly aware of reality but not completely engrossed...yet.
  • Coffee or tea while reading the above book, after waking up on your own accord.
  • Having time to lolly-gag...I love to take my sweet time in the morning...whether it is getting ready, doing nothing, cooking breakfast, etc. 
  • Working out...I love to work out in the morning...especially running. It is just the perfect way to start your day....ok sure there are other morning activities which I also find invigorating but this is a food and wine blog people...mind out of the gutter. 
  • Writing...I love to write in the morning...I just think I am funnier...or more with it...or sober...or delusional. 
  • Mimosas...seriously you didn't think I would leave out cocktails, did you?
  • A hot shower...super hot shower...especially after a sweaty run....invigorating!!
  • The idea of meditating...I love the idea of meditating...but I am just not so great at sitting still, but I still well like the idea of meditating. It just sounds so zen and peaceful....and it's just not going to happen for me. 
  • Bacon...no further explanation needed. 

Ok back to my salad. To begin with, chop the cucumber, orange bell pepper, onion and cherry tomatoes. I do have to say that quartered cherry tomatoes seemed a little small and time consuming so I just cut them in half. 

For the salad dressing, in a bowl whisk the salt, orange zest, orange juice, lemon juice and olive oil.



Cook the bacon in a pan. 


I had never made soft boiled eggs before, but they are almost exactly the same as hard boiled, they are just cooked for a shorter period of time. So put the eggs in a pan, cover with water and bring to a boil. Turn off the heat and let them sit for 3 minutes. Remove and cool with cold water. Peel the eggs. 




Toast the bread and tear it into pieces, adding it to the vegetable mixture. Dress the vegetables and break with the salad dressing, adding in the bacon. Serve with the soft boiled egg. Love!

Here is the actual recipe:



1/2 English cucumber
2 cups slivered orange or red bell peppers
2 cups quartered cherry tomatoes
1/3 cup slivered red onion, rinsed and patted dry
About 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon orange zest
1 tablespoon orange juice
1 tablespoon lemon juice
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
6 slices Canadian bacon
4 large eggs
7 ounces multigrain bread, sliced 3/4 in. thick, toasted
Pepper

1. Quarter cucumber lengthwise, then slice 1/2 in. thick. Toss cucumber, peppers, tomatoes, and onion in a large bowl; set aside.
2. Whisk together 1/4 tsp. salt, the orange zest, orange juice, lemon juice, and oil in a small bowl. Set dressing aside.
3. Brown bacon in a large nonstick frying pan over medium heat until golden, turning once, 4 minutes. Cut into 1/4-in. strips.
4. Put eggs in a small saucepan, cover with water, and bring to a boil. Turn off heat, cover pan, and let sit 3 minutes for soft-cooked. Crack eggs all over on counter, transfer to a bowl of ice water, and let cool 2 to 3 minutes. Peel and halve lengthwise.
5. Meanwhile, tear bread into 1/2- to 1-in. pieces. Add to vegetables along with bacon and dressing, and toss until evenly coated.
6. Divide salad among 4 shallow bowls and top each with 2 egg halves. Season to taste with pepper and more salt.

Have an incredible weekend. Cheers!


0 comments:

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews