Powered by Blogger.
Wednesday, June 8, 2011

After a 12 hour day...

So sure I imagine most people after a 12 hour day at work don't think "damn I can't wait to go home and start cooking." But that is exactly the first thing that entered my mind as I walked out of my office at 9pm tonight. Hmmm what can I cook?

I am now at home...a glass of Zinfandel in my wine glass and my hands deep in the meatball mixture to make Italian Wedding Soup. Sure its 10:30pm but I am thrilled to be making homemade meatballs. Because really there is nothing better than making meatballs....I love to throw all of the ingredients in a bowl and just put my hands in the mixture and start making those meatballs. There is something about the process that is reminiscent of decade old traditions and allows you to truly feel like you are putting love in your food.

The recipe I am trying for Italian Wedding Soup is from Martha Stewart http://www.marthastewart.com/313104/light-italian-wedding-soup

If nothing else you should click on the above link and just compare it to this picture...hmmm my food photography is not improving.

Just a few things about this recipe. The meatballs are really good! I didn't realize that if you put meatballs in broth they rise to the top when they are done...very similar to raviolis. Good fact to know....yes you can use this to wow your friends, during Trivial Pursuit or just when you are having a random fact off (ya know a random fact off...anyone?)

The recipe also called for escarole and I couldn't find it in the store. I don't know if its out of season or if it goes by several hundred different names like several vegetables do so I bought green leaf lettuce because it looked like the picture and it worked just fine.

This soup is super easy to make and only has 250 calories per serving. I am kind of a salt-a-holic so I did need to add more salt than the recipe called for but it was pretty damn good after that. I also love freshly grated parmesan cheese and I personally think it really makes a difference as it adds that subtle nutty flavor to the soup.

And finally yes I know my picture looks like guacamole but I swear to you its not. If anyone knows of a food photography class I can take I am completely receptive to improvement.

Ok y'all my spurt of energy has now been depleted its time for me to go to bed and dream of cream puffs, sugar plums and other random food stuffs. Too bad I don't remember my dreams because I am pretty damn sure I would dream of food. Good night all and happy cooking!

0 comments:

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews