Powered by Blogger.
Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Just when you think you know someone...

So last night I decide to impress my husband with a home cooked meal....shrimp and pea risotto, romaine salad and a chocolate orange loaf cake. Damn I am thinking I am for sure back in the running for wife of the year. Ever since we went to Belini Osteria a few weeks ago I have had visions of creamy risotto dancing through my head and my husband is a huge dessert fan so how could I go wrong with chocolate, right? I bought a good bottle of white wine...which of course as I sit down to write this I can't think of the name of it to save my life...and its already outside in the trash...way too much trouble to fish it out for the label...yes that is correct I am the lazy blogger.

I start cooking after I pour myself a glass of wine of course. And he is helping me in the kitchen...chopping up vegetables for the salad...I only delegate certain tasks. So I say to him all excited,"guess what I made for dessert?" And he says with equal excitement,"what?" Drum roll please...."chocolate orange cake"....tada! I feel like twirling around in the kitchen and taking a bow as I am confident that my wife of the year trophy is forth coming in the mail. And he says to me,"I hate orange and chocolate." Huh? I am confused because A. Who hates orange and chocolate? B. How did I not know that? C. No trophy? So I stare at him dumbfounded and I try to argue with him about it by saying,"what about those orange chocolate things at Xmas?" And he says,"I hate those." Hmmm....foiled again. He then goes on to tell me that he doesn't like banana bread and I am even more confused since earlier in the week I saw the bananas in the fruit basket and I offered to make banana bread. He didn't say to me at that time,"I hate banana bread." No, he just said,"how about zucchini bread instead?" So I revisited that conversation with him and he was like well I told you to make zucchini bread instead...like by him volunteering zucchini bread I should know he hates banana bread. Really, why don't men communicate like humans?

Here I am after 6 years together learning that my husband hates chocolate and oranges and banana bread. I feel as if we have been living a lie and I don't know him at all. Ok a little drama there, but you get the picture. So the rest of the dinner was fine...risotto was pretty good...nothing blog worthy. We did learn however that shrimp risotto is not good with wine. For some reason I put the risotto in my mouth and then grabbed my glass of wine ready for a crisp refreshing sip and it was horrible...something in the risotto made the wine taste acidic. I don't know if it was the shrimp or the lemon peel or something else but it was truly yuck.

So for those of you who do like orange and chocolate here is the link for an easy loaf cake...would be really good with vanilla ice cream in my opinion. http://www.bhg.com/recipe/chocolate-cakes/chocolate-orange-loaf-cake/

Guess I should probably finish writing this so I can go find out more about the love of my life...tomorrow night I am making tofu enchiladas wish me luck.

2 comments:

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews