Powered by Blogger.
Monday, July 4, 2011

So it's officially 4th of July

Starting in law enforcement at the age of 19 you definitely have a different perspective on holidays. Where as the rest of the country celebrates holidays on the actual date being in public safety you often celebrate where and when you can. Today being no exception! For the majority of folks 4th of July is about bbq'ing, spending time with family and friends, refreshing cocktails, horseshoes, swimming, fireworks and outdoor fun. Sure everyone may have a slightly different variation but the idea is all the same...celebrating our nations independence and those that continue to fight for our right to party (Beastie Boys shout out right there).

However, for those of us in public safety it means more...oh so much more. It means we all have to work as it is one of the busiest days of the year. It means way too many calls for service for loud fireworks, shots fired, loud parties and drunk disorderly folks. It means that we are not at home with our families and we definitely do not have an ice cold beer in our hands...for some reason I have found that it is frowned upon to be answering 911 with a cocktail in hand (don't worry I have never done this.) And although everyone in this profession is making a sacrifice it is also what we know and we all find ways to make up for it. For the last nearly 16 years I have been in this industry and I continue to find ways and time to spend with family and friends marking the holidays and I have learned that you just can't be attached to the date. I have also found that my amazing co-workers always find ways to make the best of working. Tonight we are all bringing in food, wearing jeans and we all plan on making the best of the fact that we will all be in a windowless room with lightning bolts on the walls instead of stargazing and watching a fireworks display.

And ya know on Saturday night I was able to celebrate the 4th with good friends, fireworks, amazing music and a beautiful summer night. And to me that was what this holiday is about...its not about it being the 4th of July as we could celebrate on the 2nd and still accomplish the same goal. I felt a sense of pride in our amazing country as the orchestra at Hollywood Bowl played our national anthem and commemorated each of our armed services. I felt like a kid again as I watched the fireworks display above the bowl and I truly enjoyed a cool glass of chardonnay as I listened to Hall and Oates.

So even though I am not bbq'ing tonight and drinking corona like I would like here are a few recipes that are perfect to commemorate the holiday. Great fish taco recipe from Martha Stewart and this one is actually easy...some of her recipes are crazy hard! http://www.marthastewart.com/312934/fish-tacos-with-salsa-verde-and-radish-s
And this is the strawberry pie that is coming to work with me tonight. I have made it once before and it is super easy and very tasty! http://allrecipes.com/recipe/the-old-boys-strawberry-pie/detail.aspx
Enjoy your family and friends and celebrate our amazing country! Happy 4th of July!

0 comments:

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews