Powered by Blogger.
Tuesday, July 3, 2012

The Co-Dependent Blogger

I have been so busy lately at work that I haven't had a chance to do much cooking lately. And let me just say I miss it!! I have actually kind of felt discombobulated and out of sorts. I have finally come to the realization that yes, yes I am co-dependent to my food blog. The act of cooking soothes me in a way that very few things do and being able to write about it is an added bonus. I truly enjoy the self expression, the nurturing aspects of cooking and I love that I can make people smile ok probably more like laugh at me with this blog. I actually keep a list on my phone of blog topics and recipes I want to try and write about. And on those days at work that seem especially tedious I truly day dream of coming home and tying on the apron and cooking.

This past meal I made I was especially proud of as I actually made a side dish. I don't know why but for some reason I am just kind of lame when it comes to side dishes and they are often an after thought. Which is truly so bizarre since I spend so much time reading cookbooks and envisioning the main course that you would think I would put an equal effort into side dish planning. But alas that is not the case. I am the queen of last minute side dishes-bag-o-salad being my personal favorite. I also excel at bread that is not homemade...ya know the kind that smells good and they place it right next to the check  out counter so you always think "damn I need bread," and it always goes bad super fast. I am also really good at throwing rice in the rice cooker as a side or roasted asparagus...for some reason asparagus is the only vegetable that I seem to always have. Yup that is my extensive side dish repertoire. Anyway so the other night I actually planned a side dish and boy was I proud as I think I truly rivaled a Chinese restaurant saute...ok maybe slight exaggeration but it was good.



Anyway so the only meal I made last week was Soy Glazed Salmon with Cucumber Avocado Salsa and my side dish of Asian Asparagus and Mushrooms. I found of the recipes in this months issue of Food Network magazine and so a meal was born. I have to say that the cucumber avocado salsa was heaven and I would definitely make it again...with or without the salmon. I honestly think I may have over cooked the salmon a tad and although a broiler worked fine I think I would have liked it better if it had been grilled. But as you all know I believe that everything is better on the grill.

Let's talk about the side dish first since I am so incredibly excited about it. I know you are probably looking at these directions and thinking damn those are short...and she is proud of this side dish. Well ya know baby steps, right? This picking a side dish thing was a big deal for me. Maybe next time I will try for a more complicated dish.

Anyway this stir fry had a lot of great flavors and it was pretty easy since the only ingredient I had to buy was shitake mushrooms. I was a little concerned about finding them but Albertsons had them fresh which is great. I am sure you could probably use the dried version but sometimes those can be a little too chewy. I loved the flavors that the ginger and sesame oil added to this dish and it really is a must try.


Directions

Cut 1 bunch asparagus into thirds. Heat 2 teaspoons sesame oilin a skillet over medium heat. Cut a 1-inch piece ginger into matchsticks, add to the skillet and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add 3 cups quartered shiitake mushroom caps and 1 sliced garlic clove and cook, stirring, 2 minutes. Add the asparagus and 1/3 cup water; bring to a boil, cover and cook until crisp-tender, 3 minutes. Add 1 tablespoon each soy sauce and butter; cook, stirring, 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper.
As for the salmon this was an extremely easy recipe. The soy glaze is made of honey, soy sauce and cornstarch. Put it in the microwave and its done. My random thought while making this consisted of wondering about the state of affairs with honey bees in the world. I recently caught the end of The Bee Movie...ya know the Jerry Seinfeld one...and what a cute story with an environmental lesson attached. However, once I started to do some research I really started to get concerned as it is the truth that the bee population is diminishing and not only does this hurt the honey industry but the pollination one as well which could be detrimental for our planet. Not to be a total downer in my food blog but this is not good. 
Sorry I digress....the salmon is rubbed with sesame oil and sprinkled with salt and cooked in the oven for 5 minutes. The soy glaze is then brushed on the salmon and its cooked for another 7-9 minutes. The salad is also very easy. Whisk the rice vinegar, mayo, sauce sauce and sesame oil in a bowl. Toss in the cucumber, green onions and salt. Finally, fold in the avocado. It was super yum!
Here is the true recipe if you would prefer more specific instructions:

Ingredients

Directions

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Mix the honey, 2 teaspoons soy sauce and the cornstarch in a small microwave-safe bowl. Microwave until just simmering, 30 to 40 seconds.
Rub the fish fillets all over with 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil and season lightly with salt. Place the fish in abaking dish and bake 5 minutes. Remove from the oven and brush with the honey-soy sauce mixture. Return the fish to the oven and continue baking until just cooked through, 7 to 9 more minutes.
Meanwhile, whisk the rice vinegar, mayonnaise and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon each soy sauce and sesame oil in a large bowl. Add the cucumber, scallions and 1/4 teaspoon salt and toss. Gently fold in the avocado. Serve the salmon with the salad and pickled ginger.
Anyway I hope everyone has an amazing 4th of July filled with yummy food, wonderful family and friends and please eat lots of potato salad, hamburgers, deviled eggs and apple pie for me as I will be at work. And if I work with you I am bringing salted dulce de leche brownies with me so please stop by eat a brownie and go back to eradicating illegal fireworks. Cheers to those who are fighting for our freedoms!

2 comments:

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews