Powered by Blogger.
Tuesday, May 29, 2012

When Healthy Goes Bad...

So I am often trying to cut down on fat and calories. I figure if I workout so vigorously I want to at least see some results and since I am a whopping 5'4" I have to watch my calorie intake. Yes, I am one of those neurotic calorie counting fanatics. Anyway I had a close friend email me a recipe for Salmon Bisque....hmmm I love salmon and I love bisque...how could I go wrong, right? Um yeah no! This recipe instead of using cream and milk to make the bisque it used potatoes as a lower fat thickening agent. Well let me just say in theory it sounds like a great idea, but when I put it into practice it turned into a starchy, thick mashed potato salmon stew. It was actually described to me as," hmmm yeah salmon and mashed potatoes." Ok fair enough but not exactly what I was going for.



The flavor was actually pretty decent and honestly it probably would have even been better if I hadn't scorched the hell out of the bottom of my pan. I am thinking that because of the potato mixture it just stuck to the pan and burned like a "mo fo." Plus it could have used a bit more salt....because I like salt.

However, over dinner yesterday I did learn a handy trick that I wish I had known a few days ago. If you burn the bottom of a pan you can put a few slices of bread on the top of the concoction and it draws out the burnt flavor...you discard the bread..but at least you don't have that charred flavor left behind.

I was pretty excited when I went to the store to buy the ingredients for this recipe as I found skinless salmon. I don't have the best knife skills and as many of you know. I have an eclectic band aid collection to assist in hiding my knife skill injuries so whenever I can find an ingredient that can decrease my hospital visit quotient its a win/win. Needless to say the thought of having to skin salmon while raw was a tad bit frightening for all involved...probably even the dead fillet of salmon for that matter was a little afraid. So anyway I highly recommend skinless salmon for a recipe like this. Obviously if you plan on grilling or broiling the salmon the skin is no big deal because once you cook it  the skin comes off very easily. But for something like this its a beautiful thing!!!


Salmon Bisque

1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped celery
4 cups chopped peeled baking potato
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
1 teaspoon white pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 (14 1/4-ounce) cans no-salt-added chicken broth
1/4 cup dry white wine
2 (12-ounce) cans evaporated skim milk
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 (1-pound) salmon fillet, skinned and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and celery; sauté
10 minutes or until tender. Add potato and next 4 ingredients (potato
through broth). Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or
until tender. Place potato mixture in a blender, and process until
smooth. Return puréed mixture to pan; stir in wine and milk. Cover and
cook over medium-low heat 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add lemon
juice and fish; cook 10 minutes or until fish flakes easily when tested
with a fork, stirring frequently. Sprinkle with parsley. Makes 10
servings.

Finally, if anyone is looking for an easy and yummy mix to make lemon bread or muffins this is a great mix. Great lemon flavor, could eat the icing out of the bag and super easy to make. 



Now for my random thought of the day....I just learned of the show Swamp People...which I guess is about alligator hunting. Well since you all know I am still slightly obsessed about my best friends alligator head, did you know I could go hunt my very own alligator head from September 1st-October 7th. Any takers for a fall adventure? Remember it supposedly tastes like chicken. Cheers!

0 comments:

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews