Powered by Blogger.
Monday, July 16, 2012

Damn why don't I wear an apron?

So let me start by saying thank you to everyone who has purchased the worlds cutest aprons for me. I love them! I think I can even go so far as to say I collect them because I get amazing aprons as gifts, I purchase them everywhere I go and I seriously love the idea of them. Um but ask me if I wear them...um yeah not so much. And tonight was yet another occasion in which I didn't wear an apron and I should have. Because as I was shaking the spray can of cooking oil to grease my donut pan I pulled the lid off vigorously and sprayed cooking spray all over my face, my shirt and the entire kitchen. Sure the apron couldn't have saved my face or my kitchen but hell it could have at least saved my shirt which is now stained with oil and looks as if a 4 year old child got a hold of it with oil paints. Yipee!!



I know this is random but I purchased a donut pan because I decided I wanted to try and make...well donuts. This variety is not the fried kind its the cake kind which is baked not fried...which is a good thing since as many of you know I have a frying phobia. I also decided to try and use a donut mix for my first go round. And they seriously turned out perfectly! I purchased this mix at Let's Get Cookin' in Westlake but I am sure you can get it on-line. It is super easy to make. Just beat an egg, add oil and buttermilk and the donut mix. Whisk until combined and put in the donut pan. Be forewarned the mix is pretty thick so the hardest part is spreading it in the pan. However, bake them in the oven for 11 minutes, let them cool and flip them on a cooking rack and voila! The icing is also included in the mix and all you need to do is add melted butter and mix and its instant icing...actually instant chocolate coma. But they come out looking perfect and they taste chocolaty and cakey. Next time I will definitely make the dough from scratch.



I also made a super yummy, light and easy scallop pasta recipe tonight. Its from Cooking Light and its scallops with orzo pasta. Yet again because it's Cooking Light I did have to add some additional salt to the pasta but that is just me. However, the scallops were seriously cooked to perfection-3 minutes on each side was completely accurate as it cooked them through but did not make them chewy and they had a nice caramelized exterior. Yum! The orzo pasta was a great accessory with the dried thyme, lemon juice and white wine. It complimented the scallops perfectly.




  • Cooking spray
  • 1/2 cup prechopped onion 
  • 1 cup uncooked orzo (rice-shaped pasta)
  • 1 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
  • 1/2 cup dry white wine 
  • 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
  • 2 teaspoons olive oil 
  • 1 1/2 pounds sea scallops
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Preparation

  1. Heat a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add onion to pan; sauté 3 minutes. Stir in pasta, broth, wine, and thyme; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and pasta is al dente. Stir in chopped chives and lemon juice. Keep warm.
  2. Heat oil in a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle scallops evenly with salt and pepper. Add scallops to pan; cook 3 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness. Serve with pasta mixture.

0 comments:

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews