Powered by Blogger.
Monday, July 9, 2012

I am bringing sexy back...

So tonight I decided that writing is all about comfort...physical comfort, glass of wine comfort, bath comfort, mental comfort, food comfort and relaxed writing comfort. Which is why I am writing my blog tonight in penguin pj's. Yup I decided I would go for sheer sex appeal while I write tonight...so eat your heart out.  No, I am not talking about a penguin t-shirt or penguin pants...I am talking about full on matching penguin t-shirt and pants. Oh yeah!!! Ummm hmmmm.....

So as a child I had a strange penguin obsession. I loved all things penguin...pretty much if it had a penguin on it it was mine. You name it-penguin socks, penguin sweatshirt, penguin Xmas ornaments, stuffed penguins...you get the picture. So it got to the point that for every Xmas, Hanukkah and bday I got penguin gifts. However, have you ever had a childhood obsession bite you in the ass? Ya know like when you become an adult and you are still known as the "girl who loves penguins." And you are living on your own in your first adult apartment and people are still buying you penguin gifts for your new home and although you are grateful of course the penguin is not the look you are going for when you are trying to be sophisticated, classy and trying to date grown men.

However, just like everything these things usually come full circle. So I do have to admit that I still find penguins pretty darn cute. I loved the movie March of the Penguins, I was thrilled to get my penguin pjs last Xmas and I still look at Opus with adoration. So yes that is why tonight I am sitting here writing my blog in penguin pjs and yes I am bringing sexy back.



This weekend I tried a new mix for Molten Lava Cakes that Fresh N Easy puts out. Really good, moist, chocolatey richness. They are definitely better right after they come out of the oven, but seriously they are way easy to make and they look like you put a ton of effort into them and you didn't. The only challenge I found was getting them out of the muffin tin....here is a spoil of war right here. But ya know with any cooking experience you win some and you lose some.

 I also decided to cook a little bit Greek. For some random reason I had been craving lamb lately and when I went to Trader Joes today and saw lamb ribs I took it as a sign. Yes, I am even superstitious about food...when I see an ingredient I take it as a message...and I cook with it. Anyway I saw French cut rack of lamb and I decided to make Cooking Light's Grilled Rack of Lamb with Saffron Rice and Green Olive and Artichoke Tapenade.

Btw, if you want a lamb wine recommendation. I very much encourage you to try Clos du Bois Pinot Noir with lamb...its smooth, not too earthy and very easy to drink. It enhances the grass taste of the lamb and compliments the flavors perfectly.



The lamb has a great spice rub. It consists of kosher salt, cumin, cinnamon (but not too much so its overpowering), paprika (I used smoked because I love that flavor), coriander, cardamon and ground red pepper. So brush the lamb with olive oil and then rub it with the spice mixture. Remember that lamb is supposed to be pink so be careful of over cooking. Although some people like it bloody that is a little too raw for me, but pink is good.

The rice also has a ton of flavor thanks to that way too pricey spice known as saffron. It also has additional flavor since the onion and garlic is sauteed prior to adding the rice. Plus it is cooked in chicken broth which I just love because it infuses the rice with additional flavor and adds even more salt...and as you all know I am pretty much a salt junkie.


  • Cooking spray
  • 1 cup diced onion $
  • garlic cloves, minced $
  • 1 cup uncooked basmati rice
  • 2 cups fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
  • 1/4 teaspoon saffron threads, crushed
  • bay leaf
  • 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon paprika
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground coriander
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
  • (1 1/2-pound) French-cut rack of lamb (8 ribs)
  • 1 teaspoon olive oil $

Preparation

  1. 1. Heat a medium saucepan over medium heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add onion and garlic to pan; cook 5 minutes or until golden brown, stirring frequently. Add rice and next 3 ingredients (through bay leaf); bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes. Discard bay leaf. Keep warm.
  2. 2. Prepare grill.
  3. 3. Combine salt and next 6 ingredients (through pepper). Brush lamb with oil, and rub with salt mixture. Place lamb on grill rack coated with cooking spray; grill 10 minutes, turning once or until a thermometer registers 145° (medium-rare) to 160° (medium). Let stand 5 minutes before slicing into chops. Serve lamb with rice.


As for the tapenade it doesn't get much easier than this recipe...all of the ingredients go in the food processor...and you process and you eat. I did expect the tapenade to have more a green olive taste and the artichoke was definitely the more overpowering of tastes. Yet it would be super easy just to add additional green olives if you want more of that flavor.


  • 3 tablespoons capers, drained
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
  • 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
  • 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • 10 large pitted green olives
  • garlic cloves, minced $
  • (14-ounce) can artichoke hearts, drained

Preparation

  1. 1. Combine all ingredients in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse to desired smoothness.


Happy Monday Y'all!


0 comments:

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews