Powered by Blogger.
Sunday, October 21, 2012

Bon Appetit Chocolate Chip Cookies

As many of you know as a child I would watch my family read and make recipes from Bon Appetit magazine and I use to thumb through the pages thinking it was probably the most boring magazine on the face of the Earth. Sure I was more of a fan of Ranger Rick and The Muppet Magazine, but those are details, right? However, since I recently gave up my Ranger Rick habit I started to read Bon Appetit myself and it always leaves me in awe. The food creativity, the photography and the global scope of the magazine always has me completely overwhelmed, intimidated and intrigued all at the same time. 



So I decided it was time now that I have been reading the magazine faithfully for a year to try and make one of their recipes. No, I didn't try to tackle some elegant roast with a carrot foam or anything like that.   I decided to make Chocolate Chip Cookies. The recipe came from Jim Lahey who wrote the book My Pizza. This recipe is super easy and although I have always thought of myself as a Nestle Toll House groupie this recipe gives Nestle a run for its money. The cookies are crunchy on the outside but still chewy on the inside and since I love chewy chocolate chip cookies these made me happy. They also have a pretty intense vanilla flavor, but I really like it. 



I do have to say that when I was making the cookies I did make fun of the fact that the recipe only called for a cup of chocolate chips. I just thought it was strange that a chocolate chip cookie recipe didn't use a whole bag of chocolate chips, but after trying them I really can't complain. I also really liked the fact that all you have to do is mix the dry ingredients in a bowl, mix the wet ingredients in a mixer, combine the 2, add the chips and call it a day. These are definitely low stress cookies and seriously how do you beat that. 



I also got a chuckle from the fact that the recipe says you can store these cookies for up to 2 months in a freezer...um who can hold onto cookies that long? Even if I ate a cookie a day it still wouldn't be 2 months...I am just saying.



Ingredients

  • 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 3/4 cup (packed) light brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1 large egg, room temperature
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 cup semisweet or bittersweet chocolate chips

Preparation

  • Arrange racks in upper and lower thirds of oven; preheat to 425°. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Whisk flour, salt, and baking powder in a small bowl. Using an electric mixer on medium-high speed, beat butter and both sugars in a large bowl until well combined, 2–3 minutes. Add egg and vanilla; beat on medium-high speed until mixture is light and fluffy, 2–3 minutes. Add dry ingredients, reduce speed to low, and mix just to blend. Fold in chocolate chips.
  • Spoon heaping tablespoonfuls of dough onto prepared baking sheets, spacing 1 1/2" apart. Bake, rotating pans halfway through, until edges are golden brown, 6–8 minutes. Transfer to wire racks and let cool. DO AHEAD: Can be made 1 day ahead. Store airtight at room temperature, or freeze cookies for up to 2 months.

I had a lot of fun with my Bon Appetit recipe challenge. Think I may pick something a little more complex for my next go round, but at least I conquered my fear....well for now. Cheers!!!

0 comments:

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews