Powered by Blogger.
Saturday, October 27, 2012

Kitchen Takeover #3-Pasta & Politics

So last night I did another hostile takeover of another kitchen...well seriously how hostile can it be since I feed you...actually I just wanted to use that phrase. I decided to make Cooking Lights Three Cheese Chicken Penne Florentine and it was some seriously low calorie/low fat comfort food. There were several highlights of this takeover as I also got to takeover their 6 year old...never thought I would hear the words,"be good for Danah." He was super good as he wouldn't even talk to me...I am pretty scary. I also learned how to make brown sugar walnuts...more to come later...and I also learned how to raise civic minded children.



During dinner we started talking about politics and as many of you know politics just isn't my passion. Sure I try to vote when I know where my polling place is and I try to at least stay somewhat aware, however I do not read the ballot books cover to cover, I do not normally research upcoming elections as thoroughly as I should and I don't have like political passion causes. However, my friend was telling me that her father would always assign every member of the family an aspect of the upcoming election when they were growing up to research whether it was a candidate, a bill, etc and they would share their "research" with each other over dinner. Isn't that an amazing idea!!!

Ok so back to dinner. The true key to this recipe is blending the cottage cheese. And honestly I almost skipped that step and just dumped the cottage cheese into the pasta mixture. But putting the cheese in the blender made it super creamy and truly added to the richness of the meal...hence hiding the fact that it was low cal/low fat. So word to the wise whatever you do, blend that cottage cheese.

First of all saute the mushrooms, onions and bell peppers in olive oil. Cook for about 4 minutes and then add the spinach, fresh oregano (which adds a nice herb flavor) and salt/pepper. Ok the recipe only calls for pepper but seriously add salt.

Meanwhile cook the pasta according to package direction. Blend the cottage cheese. Shred the chicken and I used a rotisserie chicken so I didn't spend all night in the kitchen instead of drinking wine with friends and it worked perfectly.

Once everything has been cooked add the vegetable mixture, cottage cheese, pasta, cheddar cheese, parmesan, milk and soup. Put it into a baking dish, add some additional cheddar and parmesan and cook for 25 minutes in a 425 degree oven.

This is truly the perfect winter, good for you comfort food. Its pretty enough to use for entertaining, healthy enough you don't feel guilty and cheesy enough that it leaves you happy.


  • 1 teaspoon olive oil
  • Cooking spray
  • 3 cups thinly sliced mushrooms
  • 1 cup chopped onion
  • 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
  • 3 cups chopped fresh spinach $
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • (16-ounce) carton 2% low-fat cottage cheese
  • 4 cups hot cooked penne (about 8 ounces uncooked tube-shaped pasta)
  • 2 cups shredded roasted skinless, boneless chicken breast
  • 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese, divided $
  • 1/2 cup (2 ounces) grated fresh Parmesan cheese, divided
  • 1/2 cup 2% reduced-fat milk
  • (10 3/4-ounce) can condensed reduced-fat, reduced-sodium cream of chicken soup, undiluted

Preparation

  1. Preheat oven to 425°.
  2. Heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, onion, and bell pepper; sauté 4 minutes or until tender. Add spinach, oregano, and black pepper; sauté 3 minutes or just until spinach wilts.
  3. Place cottage cheese in a food processor; process until very smooth. Combine spinach mixture, cottage cheese, pasta, chicken, 3/4 cup cheddar cheese, 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, milk, and soup in a large bowl. Spoon mixture into a 2-quart baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup cheddar cheese and remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Bake at 425° for 25 minutes or until lightly browned and bubbly.
I also learned how to make brown sugar walnuts which we put on top of a salad. So take chopped walnuts and mix with brown sugar and melted butter. My friend did not know measurements so we are all on our own for this part of it. She put the walnut, butter and sugar mixture on a pan and put it in the toaster over and cooked it until "it smelled good and looked right." But omg these were heaven and they truly were perfect in a salad. So if anyone tries this before I do please feel free to share measurements and cooking times.

I am off to the ASU vs UCLA game so cheers my friends, but I have to go as there is a blood mary waiting for me at the airport. 

1 comment:

  1. Ah yes... those bloody mary's that almost made us very late haha! so worth it! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews