Powered by Blogger.
Saturday, October 20, 2012

Kitchen Takeover #1

Please do not get Kitchen Takeover confused with Kitchen Makeover because the only thing that gets changed in your kitchen when I takeover is the cleanliness. So last night I took over my best friends kitchen...I invited myself over to cook her and her husband dinner. For clarification I made pasta I did not cook them...the above sentence reads a little funny but it made me laugh so I kept it. As you can see I totally dress up when I takeover someones kitchen:




And I have to say cooking in someones kitchen gives me immense pleasure. It is so fun playing hide and seek with utensils, seasoning and pots/pans. I also get a lot of pleasure out of nurturing the people I love through food. And anyone who will sit in the kitchen and talk to me while I cook makes me happy as well as having a kitchen dog that I can feed spaghetti to. 



Last night I made Spaghetti with Sausage and Simple Marinara Sauce from Cooking Light. It uses spicy turkey sausage which makes it lower in calories and fat, however it still has lots of flavor. I loved the way this recipe roasted the sausages and then has you add them to the sauce. So yum!




The sauce is also super simple to make. It does call for whole tomatoes but I thought to myself why buy whole tomatoes and put them in the blender when you can buy crushed tomatoes that are already blended for you...just saying. So saute garlic and red pepper flakes in olive oil and add in my case crushed tomatoes and simmer. There is nothing better than the smell of garlic cooking in olive oil! Add the sausage once you roast it in the broiler. 

Cook the spaghetti after teasing and feeding some of it to the dog and voila!!!


I served dinner with this Opolo Reserve Zinfandel which was absolutely heaven....ok maybe a little too heavenly since we drank two bottles of it....and sure I may not be feeling so heavenly right now but it was so worth it!!

8 ounces hot Italian turkey sausage links
8 ounces uncooked spaghetti $
1 (28-ounce) can no-salt-added whole tomatoes, undrained
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
5 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 cup torn fresh basil
1/2 cup (2 ounces) shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
Preparation

1. Preheat broiler.
2. Arrange sausage on a small baking sheet. Broil sausage 5 minutes on each side or until done. Remove pan from oven (do not turn broiler off). Cut sausage into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Arrange slices in a single layer on baking sheet. Broil sausage slices 2 minutes or until browned.
3. Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat; drain.
4. Place tomatoes in a food processor; process until almost smooth. Heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add crushed red pepper and minced garlic; sauté 1 minute. Stir in tomatoes, sugar, and salt; cook 4 minutes or until slightly thick. Add sausage and cooked pasta to pan; toss well. Top with fresh basil and Parmigiano-Reggiano.

Kitchen Takeover #2 is schedule for Sunday night so just let me know if you would like to be added to the Takeover list. Cheers!!!


1 comment:

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews