Powered by Blogger.
Wednesday, October 3, 2012

State of the Union

As many of you know I don't normally get caught up in the whole politics thing. Sure I have my views but I don't normally feel the need to share them...well political views that is...I love sharing my views about random things. However, I digress as today I want to share my political view on something I just think is silly. So I think we can all agree that there is a lot that is wrong with the world and our country is pressed with some very challenging and controversial issues-economy, foreign policy, health care reform, abortion, etc. However, that is not what I want to talk about...I want to talk about the fact that currently our Federal government is trying to decide whether or not the US Postal Service should ship wine and beer. Yes, you read that correctly there is a bill in the House and Senate that would allow the post office to ship alcohol. Really?

Since 1909 only Fed Ex, UPS and other private carriers could ship wine and beer, but now the hope is that by the end of 2012 USPS can also join in the fun. This bill has just passed the Senate and is waiting approval in the House. Well thank you baby Jesus!!! In my opinion, now all is right in the world!! Are you friggin kidding me? Hmmm lets see we could either work on the fact that 10% of our population is unemployed or we could focus on shipping wine. Granted I have had many a frustrating vacation in which I was in a state that didn't ship wine or I had to search out a private mailing company to ship my wine...but I call that an inconvenience not a matter that the Feds need to champion. Just my opinion.



The other night I made Cobb Salad Pizza. I decided to try the recipe as it had all of the ingredients that I like-bacon, chicken and blue cheese. Sure it sounded a little odd on a pizza, but seriously in my mind how could you go wrong with throwing a form of bread into anything. And this gamble turned out great!! I loved it!! It was light, fresh and had everything that made me happy in one place!!

It was also super easy which you know I am a fan of. I bought the pizza crust which you bake in the oven for approx. 8 minutes. Since it is basically a salad on a crust you don't bake it with toppings, well because you would have a wilted nasty salad.

Meanwhile, you make the dressing which just consists of olive oil, white wine vinegar, dijon mustard and pepper. I actually thought balsamic vinegar would have been a little better, but that is just my opinion...yes, you get to hear it again.

Cook the 2 slices of bacon and then set aside. I cooked the chicken in the same pan and it gave the chicken a great crust and additional bacon flavor...seriously can't go wrong there, right?

Then in a bowl combine the cherry tomatoes, red onion, greens and I actually added in the avocado and blue cheese and surprisingly the world didn't end and the pizza still tasted good.



Finally, just throw the salad on top of the pizza crust and eat it!! This is definitely not a clean meal...it was messy to eat...but seriously worth it!!


  • (11-ounce) can refrigerated thin-crust pizza dough
  • Cooking spray 
  • 1/4 cup (1 ounce) crumbled blue cheese, divided
  • 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil 
  • 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
  • 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, divided
  • slices applewood-smoked bacon 
  • 8 ounces skinless, boneless chicken breast cutlets 
  • 1/2 cup quartered cherry tomatoes 
  • 2 tablespoons chopped red onion
  • 2 cups lightly packed mixed baby greens
  • 1/2 cup diced peeled avocado 

Preparation

  1. 1. Preheat oven to 425°.
  2. 2. Unroll dough on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray; pat dough into a 14 x 12-inch rectangle. Lightly coat dough with cooking spray. Bake at 425° for 8 minutes or until golden. Remove from oven; sprinkle evenly with 2 tablespoons cheese. Set aside.
  3. 3. Combine oil, vinegar, mustard, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper in a large bowl; stir with a whisk.
  4. 4. Cook bacon in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon from pan; crumble bacon into oil mixture. Wipe pan clean with paper towels. Heat pan over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Sprinkle chicken with remaining 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Add chicken to pan; cook 4 minutes on each side or until done. Remove chicken from pan; chop into 1/2-inch pieces.
  5. 5. Add chicken, tomatoes, and onion to oil mixture; toss gently to combine. Add greens; toss gently. Top crust evenly with chicken mixture, avocado, and remaining 2 tablespoons cheese. Cut into 8 pieces.
Hope everyone is having a fabulous week. Cheers!!





0 comments:

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews