Powered by Blogger.
Friday, December 14, 2012

Is it still Cooking Light if you drink a beer with it?

So tonight I decided to try and make Cooking Light's Green Chile Chili...sure I was intrigued by the name and it was seriously the coldest day of the year...well for So Cal anyway... so I thought chili would be the perfect comfort food. However, since the recipe called for a beer I also thought I needed to drink a beer while I cooked. Ya know one for the chili and one for me. That is the deal, right?  And after my cooking experience/dinner I thought to myself, hey great choice picking a Cooking Light recipe but if you drink a beer while you are cooking does it cancel out the Cooking Light benefits? After much thought I decided,"no because the happiness factor wins." The beer made me happy, the chili made me happy and happiness is healthy...add that to Cooking Light chili and its a win/win.




So I do have to say that I don't really understand the name of this recipe. Yes, there are green chilies in this recipe, but it is the farthest thing from green known to man. So I probably wouldn't have named this Green Chile Chili...but just my opinion. The recipe called for a tablespoon of chili powder and I decided to use chipotle chili powder and let me just say it did add a little extra kick, but it also added a nice smoky flavor to the chili.

This recipe also calls for ground sirloin, which worked fine, but I love chili that has big 'ol chunks of meat in it so my next chili will definitely have a more meaty texture. I am also not a huge fan of canned kidney beans in chili and in this recipe they did work ok but they do seem to always maintain a sort of grainy texture in my opinion. I also tend to like my chili with a little more of a soup/stew texture and this was definitely more just packed full of stuff. However, after enough beer all can be forgiven. I guess what I am really trying to say is this chili was ok...it had great spicy, smoky flavors and I did like the spice with the smoked cheese. I also enjoyed it with the cold beer, but I would never make this dish again if I was being completely honest.

But here are a few random chili facts just so all is not wasted by reading my blog:

  • Did you know there is an International Chili Society? www.chilicookoff.com
  • Chiles are made hot from a substance called capsaicin, which is located on the inside of the pepper. 
  • Eating dairy products like milk are the fastest way to cool off your mouth after spicy chili or chiles.
  • The mildest pepper is the bell pepper
  • Chiles are high in vitamin A and C and are supposedly helpful in lowering blood pressure
  • The first reference to chili peppers is in 7000BC in Mexico
This recipe is easy to make. Saute the meat in 1T oil for approximately 5 minutes. Add the onions, paprika and chili powder and cook for 4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute more. Put the beer in the pot and bring to a boil, lower the heat and cook for 15 minutes or until the beer is nearly evaporated...this is the point where I decided I get a beer too.

Add the salsa verde, diced green chiles, tomatoes and kidney beans and again bring the mixture to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Put the cheese and green onions on top of the chili as "toppings" and voila!!


Here is the recipe in case you want to try it yourself or put your own spin on it:

  • 1 tablespoon canola oil
  • 12 ounces ground sirloin $
  • 1 1/2 cups chopped onion $
  • 1 tablespoon chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon hot paprika
  • garlic cloves, minced
  • (12-ounce) bottle dark beer $
  • 1/2 cup salsa verde
  • (4-ounce) can diced green chiles, undrained
  • (15-ounce) can no-salt-added tomatoes, undrained and crushed
  • (15-ounce) can organic kidney beans, rinsed and drained $
  • 1/4 cup (1 ounce) shredded sharp cheddar cheese $
  • green onion, sliced

Preparation

  1. 1. Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add beef; sauté for 5 minutes or until no longer pink, stirring to crumble. Add chopped onion, chili powder, and paprika; sauté 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic; sauté for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
  2. 2. Stir in beer; bring to a boil. Cook 15 minutes or until liquid almost evaporates. Add salsa and the next 3 ingredients (through beans); bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Ladle 1 1/4 cups chili into each of 4 bowls, and top each serving with 1 tablespoon cheese. Sprinkle with green onion.






0 comments:

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews