Powered by Blogger.
Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Poser Potato Pancakes


So I will totally admit these are poser potato pancakes and I am pretty much a poser Jew. Let me also say that I mean absolutely no disrespect, as the reason I am a poser Jew is because I have a curiosity, an interest and a connection with the religion. Sure initially it was a scam to get more presents out of the holiday season…this whole Christmas thing was great, but when I found out there was a holiday in which you could get 8 presents…seriously I am not great at math but that is a no brainer. However, this scam started as an adult and my curiosity towards the religion started as a child.


I do have to admit it wasn’t until countless years of therapy that I started to realize where this curiosity came from. As a kid I went to a Montessori school that had a strong educational philosophy based on exploration of other cultures, religions and view points. So we pretty much embraced, studied and attempted to understand cultures/religions from around the world. This was pretty great as a kid as we got to celebrate every holiday, we ate foods from around the world and every day was an adventure and exploration.

My introduction to potato pancakes started at this school and it was a true love affair from the moment we met. I remember sitting in the “cafeteria” eating potato pancakes with apple sauce and sour cream and although I was small I was able to pack those things away. My love affair for Jewish food has continue and grown over the years…with some of my favorite foods being matzoh ball soup, and latkes.

But as I mentioned I also started to realize over the years that my curiosity and desire to know more about the religion is much more deeply rooted than matzoh ball soup and macaroons. My biological father, whom I have never met, is/was Jewish and it is a part of who I am that I have craved to understand. It is definitely strange growing up and having a void as to who or what half of you was and so I have found that I have had curiosities and exploration based on the limited knowledge I have of him, Judaism being one of them. And although I still do not know, by a long shot, everything about this religion, I do love the sense of community, the fact that it is a religion based on love, the fact that it is tradition based and well the food.

Speaking of learning about the Jewish faith I did a little research about latkes aka potato pancakes at www.jewishanswers.com...yes that is a real web page. And did you know that latkes were not involved in the original Hanukkah story at all. Actually the potato was not known to most of the world until the 16th century. However, the oil that the latkes are fried in is part of the story. Hanukkah is the celebration of the miracle of a day supply of consecrated temple oil burning for 8 days. During Hanukkah it is customary to eat food friend in oil, hence the latkes. 

So yes these are definitely poser potato pancakes not only because I am a poser but also because they contain bacon and leeks. However, they are my way of celebrating a part of me, a way of commemorating a religion based on love and well a good excuse to eat one of my favorite foods.

These potato pancakes came from Cooking Light. Seriously, it is hard to indulge in fried carbohydrates after running 6 miles at the gym. It just seems counter intuitive to slave over the treadmill and then shove your face full of fried food so this Cooking Light version was perfect for my mindset... By the way did I mention I did something insane and signed up for my first full marathon so I am definitely a little more health conscious and neurotic than normal.

Back to the pancakes….just like all of my cooking endeavors these pancakes were also very easy to make.  First you cook the bacon until crisp…done. Then sautĂ© the onions in the onion grease…makes the house smell so good!! Add the leeks and garlic and continue to cook. The leeks were actually a nice addition as it gives the pancakes a slightly earthy flavor.

Remove the mixture from the heat and add to a bowl. Combine the shredded potatoes, which gave me an upper body work out. Grating potatoes is not easy!!! Then add the shredded cheese, salt and pepper…yes since it is a Cooking Light recipe I did add extra salt, and 2 eggs. Combine all of that in a bowl.

Take the mixture and shape it into 8 patties. Place the patties on a cookie sheet that is greased with cooking spray and then spray the top of your pancakes with additional spray. I was a little concerned because the pancakes do look a little liquidy when you first place them on the baking sheet but they do dry out in the oven so do not be alarmed.

Cook them for 25 minutes and serve with sour cream and back. The bacon adds a nice salty flavor, the sour cream a bit of tang and I love the earthy flavor of the potatoes and leeks. I will be honest they are not “just like” fried potato pancakes but if you don’t get too obsessed with the original variety you will be happy.

Here is the recipe:
  • center-cut hickory-smoked bacon slices$
  • 2 cups chopped onion $
  • 1 cup thinly sliced leek
  • garlic cloves, chopped
  • 1 1/2 pounds shredded peeled baking potato (about 2 large) $
  • 1/3 cup (1 1/2 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • large eggs $
  • 1 tablespoon butter $
  • 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream $

Preparation

  1. 1. Preheat oven to 350°.
  2. 2. Cook bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until crisp. Remove bacon from pan using a slotted spoon, and crumble. Add onion to drippings in pan, and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add leek and garlic; cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently. Combine onion mixture, grated potato, cheddar cheese, 3/4 teaspoon salt, black pepper, and 2 large eggs in a medium bowl, stirring well.
  3. 3. Divide the potato mixture into 8 equal portions, and shape each portion into a 1/2-inch-thick patty. Squeeze moisture from each patty. Melt 1 tablespoon butter in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add patties to pan; sautĂ© 2 minutes on each side. Transfer patties to a baking sheet; bake at 350° for 15 minutes or until set. Top with crumbled bacon and sour cream.


Cheers and Happy Hanukkah!!

0 comments:

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews