Powered by Blogger.
Sunday, December 30, 2012

My First Quinoa Cooking Experience

So my first quinoa experience EVER occurred in Solvang a few months ago at a restaurant, however last week when I went to a health food store I saw it for sale and I decided to try and cook it myself. And that is exactly what I did. Tonight I made Quinoa with Roasted Garlic, Tomatoes and Spinach. Let me start by saying I love the smell of roasted garlic and I was so impressed by how quickly the smell started to permeate my house...yum. I also learned a few things about quinoa in preparation for writing this blog...did you know?




  • Quinoa is in the grass family even though everyone thinks it is a grain.
  • Quinoa originated in Ecuador, Peru, Bolivia and Colombia
  • Quinoa is related to beets and spinach
  • Archaeologists believe quinoa date back 7,000 years...if it has been around that long it really shouldn't have taken me this long to discover it...just saying.
  • Quinoa is high in iron, calcium and phosphorous...I love stuff that tastes good and is healthy!
  • The Incas believed quinoa was sacred and after the dish I made tonight I agree with them
  • 2013 is International Year of the Quinoa (I did not make that up)
  • When the Spanish conquered the Incas they forced them to grow wheat instead of quinoa...not really sure why they cared
So the recipe I made tonight came from Cooking Light. Start by cutting a bulb of garlic in half, wrapping half of it in foil and using the other half some other time. Roast the foil half in the oven for an hour at 350 degrees...this is the part that smells so good!!

Next cook 1T olive oil in a pan and add the red pepper flakes and shallots. I also love the smell of cooking oil so pair this with the odor of the garlic and I was pretty darn happy. I also have to say the red pepper is a really nice flavor booster to this dish so do not leave it out, just adjust it as necessary to accommodate your spice quotient. 

Add the quinoa and cook for 2 minutes with the shallots, oil and pepper. Add 1T wine. I know you are thinking, damn 1T of wine and I have to open a bottle just for that. However, let me just say let's change the frame of mind on this to..."oh thank goodness I get to open a bottle of wine and this recipe only calls for 1T so I get to drink more of it while I am cooking." Yes, I do always have a positive attitude like this. Cheers!!

Next add the broth and bring to a boil. Once it has boiled, cover the pot and simmer for 15 min. Finally add the grated Parmesan, chopped tomatoes, spinach and roasted garlic. Voila!!


  • whole garlic head
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil $
  • 1 tablespoon finely chopped shallots
  • 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
  • 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed and drained
  • 1 tablespoon dry white wine $
  • 1 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
  • 1/2 cup baby spinach leaves $
  • 1/3 cup chopped seeded tomato (1 small) $
  • 1 tablespoon shaved fresh Parmesan cheese $
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt

Preparation

  1. 1. Preheat oven to 350°.
  2. 2. Remove papery skin from garlic head. Cut garlic head in half crosswise, breaking apart to separate whole cloves. Wrap half of head in foil; reserve remaining garlic for another use. Bake at 350° for 1 hour; cool 10 minutes. Separate cloves; squeeze to extract garlic pulp. Discard skins.
  3. 3. Heat oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add shallots and red pepper to pan; cook 1 minute. Add quinoa to pan; cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add wine; cook until liquid is absorbed, stirring constantly. Add broth; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat; stir in garlic pulp, spinach, tomato, cheese, and salt. Serve immediately.


This recipe has a ton of flavor...a hint of sweetness from the garlic, a nutty flavor from the Parmesan and a hint of spice from the pepper. Quinoa also has a great texture and pair that with the tomatoes and spinach and it is just a great combination!! This dish will definitely be made again at my house.

Wishing everyone a blessed and Happy New Year...best wishes for 2013!! 

1 comment:

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews