Powered by Blogger.
Thursday, December 27, 2012

Jumping on the Gluten Free Bandwagon

So I had always thought that gluten free was the equivalent of sacrifice...kind of like a death sentence but a little different. Kind of like,"give me flour or give me death." Yes, I am a self proclaimed bread head and I truly think there is nothing better than fresh baked bread, cheese and baguettes or pasta. So the thought of going gluten free just meant starvation, living hell and deprivation to me....until recently. Sure the idea of gluten free has become more popular and along with it the gluten free options have exploded. Most recently I discovered gluten free flour and I decided to give it a try with some cookies... and the cookies were great.  I couldn't taste the difference, but hello they are cookies so seriously you add chocolate to just about anything and you can mask things that are less than pleasant. So for my second soiree into gluten free I decided to try something savory just to see if I could taste the difference or recognize the difference in texture and I have to say I really can't. Today I made Jalapeno and Cheddar Cornbread and this recipe is now one of my favorite cornbread recipes...gluten recipes included. Damn this gluten free idea has come a long way!!



This recipe came from the cookbook The Gluten Free Table, which was written by Emeril Legasse's two daughters. I love that the recipe is cooked in a cast iron skillet and it would look great as a table centerpiece especially if you were serving something like a vat-o-chili alongside of it. The cornbread has great flavor, as it has a hint of spice from the jalapeno, great texture from the corn and a really classic homey cornbread taste from the buttermilk. Plus you add in a bit of cheddar cheese and green onions and this cornbread is heaven!! It is also very moist, but it does have crispy buttery edges as you melt butter in the skillet prior to adding the mixture and baking. This recipe is yum!!


The recipe is also very easy. Mix the dry ingredients-gluten free flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar. Then in a separate bowl beat 2 eggs and an egg white and add the buttermilk. Fold in the liquid ingredients to the dry. Then add the shredded cheddar cheese, green onions, jalapenos and creamed corn.

Melt the butter in the cast iron skillet and then add the cornbread mixture. Bake for 30 minutes and then eat!!


Ingredients

  • 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, plus additional for topping
  • 1 cup gluten-free all-purpose flour blend
  • 1 cup finely ground cornmeal
  • 1 tablespoon superfine sugar
  • 2 teaspoons gluten-free baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 2/3 cup buttermilk
  • 2 large eggs plus 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
  • 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
  • 1/2 cup canned creamed corn
  • 3 small green onions, thinly sliced
  • 2 to 3 jalapeno chiles, seeded, deveined and finely chopped

Directions

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. In a 10-inch cast-iron skillet over medium-low heat, melt 1 tablespoon butter. If using an 8-inch-square baking dish instead, simply grease the bottom of the dish with some of the butter and place the remainder in the bottom of the dish. Set the skillet or dish aside.
Sift the flour blend, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda together into a large bowl.
In a small bowl, mix the buttermilk and eggs together well. Fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients to thoroughly mix.
Fold in the cheese, creamed corn, green onions and chiles and stir until well combined.
Pour the mixture into the prepared skillet or baking dish and dab a bit more butter on top. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean and the top is golden brown. Leave to cool in the pan or dish a few minutes before slicing and serving while warm.


Since I am on a gluten free kick I also tried these gluten free chocolate chip cookies. They are made with coconut flour so they have a flavor reminiscent of coconut macaroons which I LOVE!! The texture is a little different, but the cookies have great flavor. I bought them at a natural food store and the owner was telling me that they are also awesome when frozen...which I will try next. I also just seriously love the packaging. These are also made locally so I love to support local ventures. Here is the web page check it out: http://glutenfreecookies.org/

0 comments:

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews