Powered by Blogger.
Friday, March 1, 2013

I Love To Bake!! Now!

Several years ago I saw baking as a chore. There was one Christmas where I was bound and determined to make homemade desserts and what started as an act of love turned into Chefzilla...similar to Bridezilla but with a baking component. It involved a pumpkin cheesecake that fell in the middle and ended up looking more like a sink pit designed for Aztec torture. It also involved a chocolate cake that almost caught the house on fire and ended up charred on the outside and under done on the inside. And thankfully the third dessert turned out, otherwise I think that one would have been thrown at the wall.




Since that point I have had countless other baking experiments and a New Years resolution a few years back that involved learning how to bake. And now all though I am not thrilled with everything I bake I have learned to love it. Believe it or not it has actually become my after work stress release. I now find a lot of pleasure in pouring myself a glass of wine, turning on some jazz and baking. There is something therapeutic in losing yourself to the recipe, one that requires concentration on measurements, trying new ingredients and the joy of smelling something sweet and luscious baking in the oven.

So the other night I made Earl Grey Lemon Bars from Cooking Light. Don't get me wrong I love chocolate just like the next person, but I wanted something that kind of screamed Spring and that was a little different. I have also been on a kick lately where I have really enjoyed cooking with tea. I love the earthy flavors of the tea and in this recipe it added a nice contrast to the tartness of the lemon. And yes I know it is March, but I live in So Cal and therefore it is not too early to start celebrating Spring. I totally just rush through Winter as if it doesn't exist...that is just how I roll.

Anyway back to the lemon bars. This recipe was wonderful! The shortbread crust has a hint of Earl Grey which gives it a nice spice that contrasts with the buttery flavor. Sure it could have been improved with a little more butter but that would have diminished the whole Cooking Light element. The filling also had the classic lemon mixture, but it had some tea in it as well which really changed the flavor profile. And I loved the texture of the filling it was a cross between a lemon curd and a pudding and it was awesome!! It also baked perfectly so it had that crunchy exterior and that creamy interior. Perfection!!!

This recipe was also very easy. It did call for a metal baking pan which I didn't have so I used glass and it worked fine. However, I did google why recipes call for metal instead of glass and it has to do with browning. Metal pans brown the baked goods better than glass. So there is your random fact for the day.

The crust involves adding flour, powdered sugar, the insides of a tea bag and salt. If you haven't torn apart a tea bag it is super easy. I just cut a whole in it and poured the tea into a measuring spoon. It was actually pretty fun because I felt a little destructive and rebellious...it is the little things in life, right?

Next cut in the butter using either a pastry blender or two knives. I have tried both techniques and they both work equally as well. Once the mixture looks like course meal put it into the pan and press it into the bottom. On a side note I love any recipe that allows me to use my hands so I had a great time with the crust!! Think it just reminds me of making mud pies in the back yard as a kid or playing with play dough! Win/Win!!

Bake the crust for 19 minutes in a 350 degree oven.

Juice the lemons and microwave for 30 seconds. Add a bag of tea and let it sit for 10 minutes. Combine the sugar, flour and baking powder in a separate bowl. Once the juice has sat, squeeze the tea out of the bag into the lemon juice. Add the lemon zest to the juice. And on another side note if you don't own a lemon zester-buy one!! Single best kitchen purchase I have ever made!! Add the eggs to the juice mixture and then mix into the sugar.

Pull the crust out of the oven and add the lemon mixture. Bake for 23 minutes.

Yes, this recipe has very odd baking times. But it totally works so I say stick with it!!

Once the bars have cooled sprinkle powder sugar over them and enjoy!!


Crust:
Cooking spray
5.6 ounces all-purpose flour (about 1 1/4 cups)
1/3 cup powdered sugar
2 Earl Grey tea bags, divided
1/8 teaspoon salt
8 tablespoons chilled butter, cut into pieces
Filling:
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
3 large eggs
1 tablespoon powdered sugar
Preparation

1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. To prepare crust, line an 8-inch square metal baking pan with foil that extends 2 inches beyond sides; coat foil with cooking spray. Weigh or lightly spoon 5.6 ounces flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine 5.6 ounces flour, 1/3 cup powdered sugar, 1 teaspoon tea leaves from 1 tea bag (discard remaining tea in bag), and salt in a bowl; cut in butter with a pastry blender or two knives until mixture resembles coarse meal. Press into bottom of prepared pan. Bake at 350° for 19 minutes or until lightly browned.
3. To prepare filling, place juice in a medium microwave-safe bowl. Microwave at HIGH for 30 seconds. Add remaining 1 tea bag to juice; cover and steep 10 minutes. Squeeze juice from tea bag into bowl; discard tea bag. Combine granulated sugar, 2 tablespoons flour, and baking powder in a bowl. Add rind and eggs to juice; stir with a whisk until combined. Add sugar mixture to juice mixture; stir with a whisk until well combined.
4. Remove crust from oven; pour filling onto hot crust. Bake at 350° for 23 minutes or until set. Cool in pan on a wire rack for 30 minutes. Remove from pan by lifting foil. Remove foil; cut into 16 bars. Sprinkle bars with 1 tablespoon powdered sugar.

Happy First Day of March!! I truly can't believe how quickly this year has just gone by!! Enjoy this recipe and enjoy every moment that you get to spend in the kitchen! Cheers!

0 comments:

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews