Powered by Blogger.
Monday, March 11, 2013

Culinary School #1-Salads


So I just got home from my first day of culinary school and let me just say I am jazzed! I love the group of people, I love the instructor and I love the teachers assistants. So the night started with a uniform fitting...yes I get my very own Chef coat with my name on it, some ugly chef pants and an even uglier chef hat...photos will be available as soon as this snazzy get up is in my hot little hands! Thanks Mom for the chef attire!

The first night was a salad class and we made three different types of salads. We made a traditional Caesar, a spinach, bacon, poppy seed salad with a poached egg (my favorite) and a Cajun chicken salad. I do have to let you all know right now that I did get permission to take photos and blog about my culinary school experience, but I also did promise not to share the recipes. So you are pretty much going to have to drool over the photos and/or bribe me to come over and cook for you. Just sayin'!!

We were placed in groups and my group was responsible for the Cajun chicken salad. Sure I am a little biased, but I seriously had an amazing group because my group came with a guy who made me coffee!! He is now my new best friend!! I also got to make the Caesar salad dressing and just a quick tip that I learned...via a mistake...do not use extra virgin olive oil in Caesar salad dressing as it changes the color...oopsie!! You want to use olive oil just not extra virgin because it is too yellow. Lesson learned!!

I can share some of my new found culinary school knowledge...so let me tell you what I learned. My cousin (thank you LP) taught me how to make poached eggs several Christmas's ago. But tonight I took my poached egg prowess to the next level. Here is what I learned about eggs:

  • If you put the egg on a plate and the egg white spreads out and appears kind of watery it is an old egg. Old eggs don't poach well. 
  • Poached eggs should always be cooked in water that has vinegar and salt added to it... I knew about the vinegar but the salt is a new one for me
  • You should stir the egg water in a circular motion like a whirlpool prior to adding the egg so it takes on a circular shape.
  • If you want to make several poached eggs and serve them together cook them until they are done and then put them in an ice bath. When you are ready to serve them throw the eggs back in the hot water for 30-45 seconds to warm them up.
  • If you are making a few eggs and want to serve them immediately take them out of the boiling water and put them in a warm water bath to keep them warm.
Pretty cool tips, ay!! And here is my poached egg!! Yes, I am very proud!!


I also have to tell you that I learned that my knife skills do officially suck. Although I did come home with all 10 fingers it was close to being a miracle. Thank you to one specific teachers assistant who held my hand while I cut green onions and who had a scared look on his face every time I came in contact with a knife. Oh poor guy hasn't seen anything yet!! HAHA (yes, that is an evil laugh). Next week is the chicken class and I truly believe that all chickens come boneless and skinless so I am pretty much screwed!!!

Happy Monday and Happy Cooking!! Cheers!!

0 comments:

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews