Powered by Blogger.
Monday, March 18, 2013

Field Trip: Eating My Way Through Ventura



 I spent yesterday exploring aka. eating my way through Ventura. I started my morning with coffee because seriously even I need energy in the morning. Sure some people would argue that I have plenty of energy on my own, but whats a little more, right? I recently discovered Palermo and just think they have amazing coffee. I had a Mexican Mocha and the cinnamon, chocolate and coffee flavors were heaven!! I also bough a bbq potato chip chocolate bar there...not heaven...but interesting.  http://www.palermoventura.com/



 The next stop was We Olive and this place was an eaters dream. You could taste everything and anything. I love olive oil to begin with, but this place had it all. I found some of the most incredible aged balsamic vinegar and blood orange olive oil, so of course it had to come home with me.

I had heard about the debate regarding imported olive oils and how some olive oil that is coming into our country is a fraud, either not actually extra virgin and some cases where it is not even olive oil. We Olive only carries California olive oil and it is certified in order to prove that it is actually extra virgin. http://www.weolive.com/

I had been hearing about  Spice-topia for weeks. It is a spice lovers paradise! There is every spice known to man and they are even willing to blend spices for you if you are wanting a rub or tea blend or something just out of the ordinary. I definitely know where to go if I need an out of the ordinary spice and this beats having to mail order something, especially when you want to make it that night.

 The highlight for me was the fact that you could smell anything you want. So I seriously went around the store just smelling!!

 And of course I had to identify which smelled the most nasty....
 And share it...ya know this is disgusting...here try it...

 They also do classes, tastings and special events so check out their calendar on their web page: http://www.spice-topia.com/main.php

The final stop was Paradise Pantry. I know it sounds like it should be an "adult bookstore", but it really is a wine and cheese place. It is quaint and it had some amazing cheeses and a good selection of out of the ordinary wines.

 They were featuring a flight of 5 blends and I loved that the blends included out of the ordinary wineries and out of the ordinary wine varietals. http://www.paradisepantry.com/

 I felt like a little kid in a candy store...exploring what I love most...good food and good wine. I loved supporting small local businesses and I loved having a companion who was just as enthusiastic as I was. Check out these fun local finds! Cheers!


0 comments:

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews