Powered by Blogger.
Monday, January 6, 2014

Burgundy Mushrooms & Gratitude

I have been thinking about gratitude a lot lately and after a rough day at work I decided to go to a spin class, take a hot shower, pour myself a glass of wine and make some comfort food. However, I needed quick and easy comfort food because I was seriously impatient and well starving...so I made Burgundy Mushrooms. I know that for some, mushrooms would be considered the farthest thing from comfort food, but I just love them. I love them raw, I love them cooked and when I saw a recipe that combined wine and mushrooms, I knew I was in lust!!


















And before I start talking about how amazing and grateful I am for these mushrooms, I just have to say that it is so easy to go to a place of negativity, instead of celebrating all of the incredible joys that life has in store for us. Since this is a new year I have felt that it is important to reflect on the past year and also set intentions for the year ahead. I like the word intentions better than resolutions, but semantics, yes I know. Anyway as I went through this process, I found myself berating myself for the things I didn't accomplish instead of celebrating my successes, so I want to take a moment, to just pause and say thank you.

I am so grateful for:

1. My Family (both the ones that have to love me because they are blood and those that love me because I always have wine aka.friends)

2. Laughter and Joy (for all of those people, places and things that make me smile)

3. Food and Wine (everything tastes better with love and it is the only way I prepare/pour it)

4. Life Experiences (the painful and triumphant, they have made me who I am)

5. Dreams (the big and the small and the daily proof that they do come true)

6. Love (that feeling of being alive, when your heart flutters, whether it is a love affair with yourself or others or a gorgeous pair of shoes)

7. Health (with the exception of this kale craze, seriously people)

8. Miracles (they are everywhere once you open your eyes)

9. Reality Television (we all need our escape, right?)

10. Mushrooms (yes, it all comes back to mushrooms)


So these mushrooms are incredibly easy and good. They absorb the flavors of the wine, so use a good quality wine, and they have a luscious earthy and salty flavor, well from the mushrooms and the salt (duh). And I couldn't stop eating them...serving for four...equals serving for one...for me.



Saute 1lb of mushrooms, cut in half, with a 1/2 cup of chopped onion and 2T butter. Cook for approximately 3 minutes.



Add 1/2 cup wine, 1T of Worcestershire, salt and pepper to the mushrooms. The recipe said to cook them for another 4 minutes or until most of the liquid evaporates, for me that was closer to 7-8 minutes.


And eat!! Yum!! Please do not be intimidated by the strange purple color, the flavor makes it all better!!


These would be incredible served on a grilled steak and maybe some blue cheese and a glass of a smooth red wine, like a Cabernet or a robust Merlot.


So I am going back to my glass of wine and my mushrooms, but thank you, I am grateful for all of you who read my blog, laugh with me, cry with me and enjoy the thrill of life, love, tradition, knowledge and food and wine. Cheers!



0 comments:

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews