Powered by Blogger.
Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Meatball Tortellini Soup & Laundry List of Injuries

So I have kind of been clumsy in the kitchen...and well out of the kitchen...lately. And it is frustrating as my list of injuries continues to grow. I have had a few running injuries which make me grumpy to begin with, however last night when I smashed a knife into my finger, my grumpiness increased ten fold. How is it possible that I survived culinary school without losing a nail, a finger or a limb? Yet last night while enjoying a glass of wine (yes, just one), some good music and some kitchen time I butcher my own finger. Lovely!



In general, I am actually quite accident prone. I have been lucky, knock on wood, when it comes to the broken bone department, but my mishap list is quite long. Here are a few of my highlights:

  • 18 months-first black eye. I refused to wait for my Mom while running on a beach path and head butted a rock...the rock won!
  • 4 years old-first time getting ran over by a bike, yes I said first time. I was full on mowed over by another kid on a tricycle. He won!
  • 21 years old-ran over by a second bike. I had just finished my last final for my last semester of college and while walking to my car I got ran over by a second bike. I can't prove beyond a shadow of a doubt but this guy looked a lot like a young man I had met on the sidewalk 17 years prior....just sayin'
  • 24 years old-first jelly fish sting...ok maybe several because I had marks all over my body. Nothing says sexy on a tropical vacation in Mexico like tentacle marks all over your arms and legs that burn
  • 29 years old-while sleeping in a hotel room on the 2nd floor in a tropical country...startled awake by a large frog landing on my arm...it was a tree frog with sticky toes
  • 29 years old-plane does emergency landing as it fills up with smoke...crash crews on the ground waiting for your plane...this is just never a good thing
  • 32 years old-gets up in the middle of the night to use the restroom, while climbing back into bed somehow hits head on dresser, giving oneself a black eye...this is my second black eye
Ok let's get back to cooking, so last night I made Meatball Tortellini Soup. This is some seriously great comfort food-warm chicken broth, pasta and meatballs with cheese...pretty much screams happiness! It was salty from the chicken broth, had a nutty flavor from the Parmesan and the tortellini filling and it had an earthy flavor from  the meatballs.


So first of all, make the meatballs. Combine the ground beef, grated Parmesan, chopped parsley, lightly beaten egg, garlic and salt/pepper. Mix with your hands. However, if you have just cut your hand, please wear gloves or use a spoon. Next form the mixture into 1" balls...ok some of mine go a little large, but I kept forgetting I was making meatballs for soup and not spaghetti...oopsie. 

Saute the meatballs in olive oil until browned. Remove from the pan.



Next saute chopped carrots and celery. Cook until soft. Add the chicken broth and water, bring to a boil. 

Return the meatballs to the pot and add the remaining parsley and salt. Cook for 2 minutes.


Add the tortellini and cook until they float to the top. Next add the spinach and cook for 1 minute or until wilted. 


Serve with extra Parmesan cheese and enjoy!


Here is the actual recipe:
Ingredients
8 ounces ground beef chuck
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese, plus more for topping
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 clove garlic, grated
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 carrots, diced
2 stalks celery, diced
1 quart low-sodium chicken broth
1 9 -ounce package refrigerated cheese tortellini
4 cups loosely packed baby spinach (about 3 ounces)
Directions
Combine the beef, parmesan, 2 tablespoons parsley, the egg, garlic, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and pepper to taste in a medium bowl; mix with your hands until just combined. Form into 1-inch meatballs; set aside.

Heat the olive oil in a pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the meatballs and cook, turning, until golden, 3 to 4 minutes; remove to a plate. Add the carrots and celery to the pot; cook, stirring, until just softened, about 5 minutes. Add the broth and 3 cups water; bring to a boil. Return the meatballs to the pot along with the remaining 2 tablespoons parsley and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Simmer until the meatballs are just cooked through, about 2 minutes.

Add the tortellini and cook until they float to the top, about 4 minutes. Add the spinach and cook, stirring, until wilted, 1 minute. Season with salt and pepper. Top with more parmesan


This recipe is perfect for a cool winter night, when you want something filling, cozy and hearty. Enjoy and cheers!















0 comments:

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews