Powered by Blogger.
Wednesday, January 8, 2014

You Know You Are A Chef When...And Cream Cheese Chocolate Swirl Brownies

I have always wondered what the true difference was between a cook and a CHEF! I mean sure, it sounds way more sophisticated, educated and classy, but really what is the difference? Well I have discovered what it means to be a CHEF! So you know you are a CHEF when...



1. You have at least set one thing on fire, both on purpose and accidentally
2. Your kitchen repertoire extends past boiling water, making fried eggs and spaghetti with jarred sauce
3. You have been covered in flour at least once, this included flour in your hair
4. You have a spice cabinet that far exceeds that of Christopher Columbus or any other explorer who was looking to expand the spice trade
5. You have random ingredients in your pantry that you bought for one recipe and you are positive you will never use again, but you keep them just in case...
6. You have at least one scar on your body from a burn or a knife wound (not the kind you got in a fight at a bar), ouchie, but that is the truth...battle wounds are worn with pride and honor in the kitchen
7. You have created at least 2-3 dishes that were so god awful they went directly into the trash...you must have epic fails to have amazing successes!
8. You have created at least one dish, normally a Martha Stewart recipe, that required you use every SINGLE dish in your kitchen (pot, pan, knife, bowl, you name it)
9. You sharpen your knives constantly...to a level that is bordering on neurotic...and again the knives are not so you can win in bar fights, but to cut stuff in the kitchen
10. You have a deep passion and love for being in the kitchen...you get pleasure in cooking, creating and baking.

Yes I know that many of you who read this blog truly are a CHEF!

So tonight I decided to skip the gym, which is way too rate for me, and come home to rest, recharge and cook. And unlike my normal routine which includes picking a recipe, running to the grocery store to purchase ingredients and then beginning my kitchen routine, I decided to wing it. I came home and started looking through the pantry, trying to identify the ingredients I had on hand. And I found that I had the ingredients to make Cream Cheese Chocolate Swirl Brownies...well or at least I thought I did. I want to make something for my bestie because she has a long day ahead of her tomorrow and she loves chocolate and she loves cheesecake so I thought this was the perfect dish....until halfway through the experience...I realized I was out of brown sugar...and seeing as she is my neighbor...she is my source for all ingredients lacking...hence the brownies became a known entity instead of surprise. Sure they are still a nice gesture, just minus the surprise.

Ingredients:

1 (4oz) package sweet baking chocolate, I used semi-sweet and that was perfect
1/4 cup plus 1T butter, divided (how do they come up with these random measurements?)
4 oz cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup sifted powdered sugar (I didn't sift it out of laziness and it turned out fine)
3 large eggs
1T all purpose flour
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar (if you borrow it from your best friend and it is super hard just throw it in the microwave for 30 seconds)
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
1T Kahlua or brewed coffee (I used Kahlua which is great because I seriously have a few tablespoons in a bottle, not enough for a cocktail, but more than you want to throw away)


1. Melt the chocolate and 3T butter over low heat, stirring constantly. Cool


2. In a mixer, beat the remaining 2T butter and cream cheese, until creamy. Gradually add powdered sugar, beating until light and fluffy. Stir in 1 egg, 1T flour and vanilla set aside. (This is the only drag for this recipe, it requires you use the mixer twice, so you have to do dishes in the middle of cooking.)



3. Beat remaining 2 eggs on medium speed until thick and pale. Gradually add both sugars, beating until thickened.

4. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt. Add to the egg mixture, mixing well.


5. Stir the cooled chocolate and Kahlua into the egg/flour mixture.




6. Spread half of the chocolate batter into a greased 8" square pan.


7. Spread the cream cheese mixture on top of the chocolate batter.


8. Top with the remaining chocolate mixture.


9. Swirl the batter with a knife to create a marbled effect. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 35-40 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.

Happy Hump Day!!








0 comments:

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews