Powered by Blogger.
Thursday, January 2, 2014

Epic Fail & Recovery-Poppy Seed Muffins

I woke up this morning with visions of a steaming hot cup of coffee and light fluffy piping hot muffins, fresh from the oven, dancing in my head. So I pulled out my favorite Southern Living cookbook and found a recipe for Poppy Seed Muffins. I did a little happy dance as I realized I had all of the ingredients, including the sour cream, which I never keep on hand, and I got to work.

I mixed the dry ingredients (1 3/4 cup flour, 1/4 tsp baking soda, 1/2 tsp salt,3T poppy seeds and 1/2 cup sugar). Done

Created a well in the dry ingredients. And I was super proud that my walls didn't cave in.


I melted the butter in the microwave (1/4 cup butter). I mixed the wet ingredients (1 8oz container sour cream, 1 egg, lightly beaten, 2 tsp vanilla and the butter).


I added them into the middle of my well and I mixed until combined, careful not to over mix.


But hmmm the consistency didn't seem right. It was tacky, it wasn't smooth and there was no way in hell it was going to pour into the muffin tin....so I used a spoon.


I baked my muffins in a 400 degree oven for 18-20 minutes, as directed, still slightly apprehensive about the texture, but I was hoping for oven miracles.

I pulled them out of the oven...they did not rise...they were dense...they were funny shaped...and they tasted like gut bombs...EPIC FAIL!! My morning vision did not come to fruition...I had chai tea instead of coffee and hockey pucks instead of light fluffy muffins.

However, I looked down at my muffins, like I do all things in life, and I thought," how can I make the best of this situation?" I started rooting through the fridge and I found lemon curd, which can make all things better and I sat down with my tea, my "muffins" and my cat and I decided to cherish the fact that I was off from work today, got to sleep in, the sun was shining, I was healthy and I was on day 2 of an incredible New Year.  Too often it is easier to go down the pity party spiral instead of celebrating the amazing gifts we have in our lives.


So this year, 2014, I decided not to make New Years resolutions because I am like many in that I don't stick to them, instead I just want to celebrate each day for the incredible miracles that come my way. So when life gives you lemons, make lemon curd, it makes everything better. Cheers with tea...not cocktails...it is a little early for that today...and my muffin that is slathered with lemon curd to make it edible!

0 comments:

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews