Powered by Blogger.
Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Life Lessons I Learned in 2013 & Lamb with Orzo and Eggplant

Today is obviously the first day of 2014 and I always like to start my New Year reflecting on the previous 365 days. I have to admit that the past few years have been a roller coaster for me, but I have found that these experiences have made me stronger, happier and more full of life (yup, watch out world). So I decided to take a few minutes and share some of the life lessons I have learned in 2013.


  1. Happiness does not have a price tag. 
  2. Take yourself out of your comfort zone and allow yourself to experience life. 
  3. Sit still with yourself...even if it is for a second...you will learn a lot.
  4. Smile at strangers.
  5. Cook with love.
  6. Tell those near and dear to you that you love them...all the time!
  7. Embrace the journey. 
  8. Cherish every sip of good wine and every bite of amazing food.
  9. Laugh and share joy.
  10. Celebrate life!

Last night I had the pleasure of cooking for 25 dear friends and I had a blast as I made chicken, beef and cheese enchiladas, black bean and rice salad, guacamole and black eyed pea salsa. However, historically I have enjoyed a mellow New Years Day complete with football, winter cleaning, a good workout and a nice meal. 


Tonight I decided to make a Rachael Ray recipe, Lamb with Eggplant and Orzo pasta. I like to make something comforting, healthy and original, something to help me start off the new year on the right foot. And this dish was perfect for that goal!! This dish is reminiscent of the Italian comfort food on which I was raised, however it has a more Greek or Mediterranean influence. It has great flavor between the subtle hint of the jalapeno, the earthy flavor of the lamb, the salty flavor of the Feta and the acidity of the tomato. It is hearty, warm and cozy and it is the perfect meal before a run, for a casual dinner party or for a quaint night at home. It can be paired amazingly well with a nice Barbera or Cabernet Sauvignon and it just made me happy. 

I love lamb...now! I haven't always been a fan. I remember my first lamb encounter, on a plate. It was for Easter one year as a teenager and it was very red, bloody and looked like it might jump off my plate and run to a nearby field. It was an instant turn off. Yes, it was cooked perfectly, according to my family, it was high quality meat and it was prepared in a traditional fashion...and it grossed me out. Today, I am sure I would love and savor every bite, but back then...oh hell no!!

So I have had to acquire and readjust my lamb taste. I truly started to LOVE lamb when I was in Ireland. It was everywhere and it had such a strong earthy herbal taste that my affair began there. Obviously Ireland has a ton of sheep so they definitely know how to raise them, butcher them and prepare them. Yum!! But I came back to the states ready to try and take a gander at lamb preparation myself and so far I have been pretty happy with my endeavors, this dish included. I have also found that lamb has become more prevalent. When I first started cooking with lamb it was hard to find, especially rare cuts of it, however today it is everywhere. This recipe called for ground lamb and it was easy to find at my everyday grocery store. 


To begin with cook the orzo pasta, according to the package directions.

Next saute the ground lamb in 2T of olive oil for approximately 10 minutes.


Add the eggplant, that is peeled, the jalapeno, onion and garlic and cook for approximately 5 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.


Stir in the 2T of tomato paste and cook for 1 minute. Add the crushed tomatoes, white wine and chicken broth. Cook for another 5 minutes. Add the parsley.


Add the feta cheese and butter to the orzo pasta.


Plate the pasta, creating a well in the middle for the lamb mixture. Sprinkle with parsley.

Here is the actual recipe if you want more explicit directions:


INGREDIENTS

Salt and pepper
3/4 pound orzo or small penne rigate
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
1 pound ground lamb
1 small, firm eggplant, peeled and chopped into 1/4-inch pieces
2 fresh chili peppers, such as red Fresno, Holland or jalapeƱo, seeded and finely chopped
1 onion, finely chopped
2 large cloves garlic, chopped
2 tablespoons fresh rosemary, finely chopped
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 can crushed tomatoes (15 ounces) or 2 cups passata or tomato puree
1 cup chicken or beef stock
1/2 cup dry white wine
1/2 cup mixed fresh parsley and mint, finely chopped
1 cup feta crumbles
2 tablespoons butter
Serves 4
PREPARATION

Bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt it, add the orzo (or penne) and cook until al dente. Drain and return to the pot.

While the pasta is working, in a large skillet, heat the EVOO, two turns of the pan, over medium-high heat. Add the lamb and cook until well browned, about 10 minutes; season with salt and pepper.

Stir the eggplant, chilies, onion, garlic and rosemary into the lamb. Partially cover and cook until the vegetables are softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste for 1 minute. Stir in the tomatoes, chicken (or beef) stock and wine. Lower the heat and simmer until thickened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the parsley and mint.

Toss the pasta with the feta and butter. Serve in bowls and make a well in the center. Spoon in the spicy lamb.

Hope you all have an incredible 2014, cheers!

























0 comments:

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews