Powered by Blogger.
Thursday, May 10, 2012

25 things....

So I just got back from a business trip to Chicago and I spent a lot of time on the flights reading US Magazine. Yes, I love celebrity magazines...they are kind of my guilty little pleasure...love the pictures, the random facts and the "articles." One of my favorite segments are the ones in which a random celebrity shares 25 random things about themselves. And it just made me think hmmmm can I think of 25 random things about myself well lets see what I got....

1. I have ugly feet
2. I have my B.A. in Journalism from Humboldt State
3. I love Snuffleupagus from Sesame Street
4. I love to talk to random people
5. I was in a plane once that did an emergency landing because it filled up with smoke
6. I am accident prone and pretty clutsy
7. I have one dimple in my face
8. I have ran 9 half marathons
9. I went to a Montessori school
10. I can't grow anything...black thumb of death here
11. I have a birth mark on my back...kind of where people put tramp stamps
12. Richard Nixon is my favorite President of the United States
13. My favorite movie is Life is Beautiful
14. I love cats with squished faces. I have Miss Kitty right now and her predecessor was Fabio
15. I didn't eat meat until I was in Junior High
16. I have had a ton of nicknames-Doots, Pumpkin Face, D, Day-O, Day, Sparky, Trouble, Sunshine
17. My first buzz was at the age of 3 when I drank someones champagne off the coffee table
18. I wasn't allowed to watch The Flinstones growing up because they were sexist
19. I was class president in high school
20. I played the piano for 7 years and now I don't remember anything
21. I had a frog land on my arm in Costa Rica while I was sleeping on the 2nd floor...scared the hell out of me
22. I hate cruises
23. I have been sky diving
24. I locked my best friend and I out of our hotel room on the 4th floor balcony in Mexico because I was afraid a lizard would go inside our room
25. My eyes change colors-brown, green and hazel

Coming back from being out of town I was so excited to cook again tonight. I decided to go with something simple and fresh primarily because after 4 days in Chicago with amazing pizza and beer I feel a little doughy (yes pun intended). I decided to make grilled halibut with a grilled romaine salad (yes I know its my obsession right now) and corn on the cob. Let me start by saying halibut is expensive and if I didn't love the texture and flavor so much it just wouldn't be in my cooking repertoire. Let me also say that there is nothing better than sweet fresh grilled corn on the cob. It was seriously the biggest thing I craved when I had my braces on...probably because I couldn't eat it.

So tonight I made Grilled Fish Steaks:

Ingredients

  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 6 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon dried basil
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
  • 2 (6 ounce) fillets halibut

Directions

  1. In a stainless steel or glass bowl, combine garlic, olive oil, basil, salt, pepper, lemon juice, and parsley.
  2. Place the halibut filets in a shallow glass dish or a resealable plastic bag, and pour the marinade over the fish. Cover or seal and place in the refrigerator for 1 hour, turning occasionally.
  3. Preheat an outdoor grill for high heat and lightly oil grate. Set grate 4 inches from the heat.
  4. Remove halibut filets from marinade and drain off the excess. Grill filets 5 minutes per side or until fish is done when easily flaked with a fork.

The marinade was super fresh and light. The lemon gave it just enough citrus taste and the fresh herbs, salt and pepper provide a great flavor. The recipe was right on with the cooking times, about 10 minutes, aka. 5 minutes each side. After that period of time the fish flaked perfectly and it wasn't over cooked...seriously there is nothing worse than over cooked fish.

And finally for my wine recommendation...this one isn't cheap...but this Caymus Pinot Noir has a lot of great smooth earthy flavors that pairs really well with food. I definitely recommend it if you are looking for a special occasion wine.

Looking forward to being back to blogging with a vengeance. Cheers!

0 comments:

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews