Powered by Blogger.
Monday, May 21, 2012

DO NOT GO FOOD SHOPPING STARVING!!!!

Yes, I am yelling!!! Come to find out "those" people are right and you shouldn't go food shopping when you are starving. Or better yet you shouldn't go food shopping after an hour long spin class, when you are a hot sweaty mess, wearing spandex shorts and a tank top and you are on the brink of death from malnutrition. Ahhh yeah!! Yes that is exactly what I did tonight...I broke the cardinal rule...and let me tell you about some of the random shit I bought.

  1. Frozen breakfast burritos...when was the last time you saw me eat a frozen breakfast burrito? Oh yeah NEVER!!!
  2. Instant coffee....yup I hate instant coffee
  3. Yogurt parfait....I only eat those when I am traveling and they are the healthiest option I can find
  4. Macaroni and Cheese...I don't eat it out of the box...I make it from scratch
  5. Diet cherry coke...I don't drink soda unless its a caffeine emergency
So $125 later I left the grocery store kind of in a dazed coma....unloading the bags into my car...thinking WTH...as if I just awoke from a dream with a crap load of groceries!!!

However, I at least bought the ingredients for the recipe I wanted to try tonight-Poached Eggs with Spinach and Walnuts. Ok sure I was also thinking of making salmon bisque, but I was so hungry when I got home I went with the recipe that required less time. 



 I love poached eggs!!! And thank you Laura for teaching me how to make them and creating a little poached egg monster. I also love mushrooms so this recipe was pretty much a win/win. Plus this was kind of a breakfast for dinner recipe and for some reason those always feel so much more festive than breakfast for breakfast or dinner for dinner. Ahhh the psychology of food!!

This recipe is from cooking light and can I just say that I hate when recipes have me divide things that require math. So this recipe calls for 1T of olive oil divided...1 tsp at one time and the rest at another time...well ya know that required me to think while I am cooking and drinking wine and I do not like it.

  • 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided (yes this is the part I am talking about that I don't like)
  • (10-ounce) bag baby spinach, chopped (I didn't chop it because I thought once it wilts it will be fine and it was)
  • garlic cloves, minced
  • vertically sliced shallots
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage (I couldn't find this at the store so I left it out and it was fine without it)
  • 3/4 teaspoon chopped thyme, divided
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, divided
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • (8-ounce) package cremini mushrooms, quartered (I used sliced to save my hungry ass some time and it worked great)
  • 3/4 cup toasted walnuts, chopped and divided (next time I would probably leave the walnuts out. This time 3/4 cup seemed like a hell of a lot of walnuts so I used probably closer to 1/4-1/2 cup and it was still a lot)
  • 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
  • 2 ounces shredded Gruyere cheese (this was a great snack while I cooked) 
  • 8 cups water (I didn't measure the water...yup that is how much of a rebel I am)
  • 2 tablespoons white vinegar
  • large eggs

Preparation

  1. 1. Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add 1 teaspoon oil. Add spinach; sauté 2 minutes. Remove spinach from pan; drain, cool slightly, and squeeze out excess moisture. Add remaining oil to pan. Add garlic and shallots; sauté 3 minutes. Add sage, 1/2 teaspoon thyme, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, salt, and mushrooms; sauté 7 minutes. Stir in spinach, 1/2 cup walnuts, red wine vinegar, and cheese; cook 30 seconds.

  1. 2. Combine 8 cups water and white vinegar in a large saucepan, and bring to a simmer. Break each egg gently into pan. Cook 3 minutes. Remove eggs using a slotted spoon. Spoon 2/3 cup mushroom mixture onto each of 4 plates. Top each serving with 1 egg. Sprinkle evenly with remaining thyme, pepper, and walnuts.
Just so you know I made a few modifications...I did not put extra walnuts on at the end. I didn't use the sage because I couldn't find it. I didn't measure the water...probably completely jacked up my poached eggs. And I did not drink white wine with this dish...I drank red and I didn't care. I know I was out of control tonight...

Does anyone else find spinach to be one of the hardest foods to judge in terms of serving size? It looks completely overwhelming when you put it in a pan. 

 And well it shrinks...

Now for my favorite part of my blog...the randomness. Have you ever noticed that people who smile when they run look like a crazy person? Have you also noticed that couples who exercise together and wear matching outfits aren't cute? Just a few observations. Cheers my friends!!!

2 comments:

  1. Ah yes, the grocery store dilemma... those of us "big" people do that ALL the time. Fortunately, this was the rare occasion for you and you also realized it after the fact. Good for you!

    The only people I like in matching color or type outfits are Mr. and Mrs. Claus and that is because I am not big on Christmas... go figure!

    Keep up the good work, love the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like to doing shopping of food, Here there are many foods available for we. I left the grocery shop such kind of in a dazed coma.

    boys designer coats

    ReplyDelete

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews