Powered by Blogger.
Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Udon Noodles....Hmmm...Yeah No

So tonight I decided to try and cook with Udon noodles, has anyone tried them? Ya know I really liked the idea of them. The recipe I was trying had them served with sauteed bok choy (which I love) and tofu cooked in sesame oil (healthy, right?). And the house smelled great what with the soy sauce, sesame oil and chili pepper flakes...but Udon noodles....hmmm yeah no. They kind of reminded me of really thick, overfed worms that you picked out of the ground after it rained and popped in your mouth. They were chewy, slimey and too long to really eat gracefully.



So after I ate them...never before, right...I googled them to see what they were really all about. For those of you who are bilingual this is how you say Udon noodles:  (饂飩?, usually written as うどん)
For those of you who are not bilingual like myself you can continue to call them Udon noodles. It is a Japanese wheat flour noodle. It is usually served in a hot broth as a noodle soup and the type of toppings and broth vary dependent on the region. Supposedly Udon immigrated to Japan from China around the 9th century, however there is some discrepancy as another person claims to have invented them around the 13th century and Korea also claims Udon as an invention. Since I don't really care for them I honestly don't care who invented them because I am a little despondent over the fact that someone has become VERY wealthy over a food product that I don't really care for.

Now because I am the Queen of I don't like this here try it...yes I am that girl who puts something nasty in her mouth and then tries to share it with those closest to her (in relationship and proximity) I have decided to share the recipe I made tonight. Hell ya never know one of you may be inspired to try it based on my oh so lovely description above and truly like it. Hell stranger things have happened. So here it is Udon with Tofu and Asian Greens:


Ingredients

  • 1 8-ounce package udon noodles ***you can find them in the refrigerated produce section near the tofu ***
  • 4 tablespoons roasted peanut oil, or 3 tablespoons sesame oil mixed with 1 tablespoon vegetable oil ***I used the sesame oil cause I love it and that part was yum **
  • 1 12-ounce package firm tofu, cut into 12 pieces *** you can find this in the refrigerated produce section next to the udon noodles ***
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
  • 1 11-ounce package Asian cooking greens or baby spinach *** I translated this to bok choy but I could be wrong **
  • 1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced diagonally
  • Large pinch of red pepper flakes ***I thought it could have used a little more spice maybe siracha ***
  • 3 tablespoons soy sauce
  • Pinch of sugar

Directions

Cook the udon noodles as the label directs. (Don't overcook or they will get mushy.) Drain, reserving about 1/3 cup of the cooking water.
Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Pat the tofu dry and season all over with salt and pepper. Add the tofu to the skillet and sear until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side. Set aside and keep warm.
Add 1 tablespoon oil and the greens to the skillet. Cook, tossing, until just wilted. Add the scallions, red pepper flakes, the remaining 1 tablespoon oil, the soy sauce and sugar. Add the reserved cooking water; heat to create a broth. Divide the noodles and greens among 4 bowls and top with the tofu.
Serve: 4

0 comments:

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews