Powered by Blogger.
Sunday, May 20, 2012

Deconstructed Cheeseburger & Alligator

So I have often seen deconstructions on Top Chef and I kind of always thought they were a big 'ol food mind f#$k. Like why can't we just eat food in its original form? Deconstructing food is when you take the ingredients and at times the technique for a specific recipe and tweak it and turn it into something new. I really like the way Chef Tom Colicchio describes deconstruction: Deconstructed food has been going on for a while now. It’s an approach to a plating style, as well as a way of personalizing a dish and making it one’s own. For example, I used to do a dish based on minestrone soup: the veggies became the garnish for a roasted rack of lamb, the soup itself became a sauce, and in lieu of the minestrone noodles, I made a goat-cheese ravioli. Deconstruction is a great way for a chef to put his or her own stamp on a classic.


But you know me regardless of what my pre-conceived notions and judgments might be I still have to try it so when I found this recipe for a deconstructed cheeseburger that turned it into a salad I decided to give it a shot. And I have to say it actually looks pretty cool. Unfortunately I did get called into work last night before I got to eat it...but I did have a bite of it when I got home at 1am and low and behold it actually did even taste like a cheeseburger. Its funny because the ground beef is mixed with a ketchup, mustard, onion and pickle mixture and I thought for sure the ketchup and mustard would just blend together but they seriously had 2 very distinct flavors just like they do on a burger.

This recipe came from Pampered Chef and I don't even think they realized they had created a deconstructed recipe when they published it but that is exactly what this is.

The recipe calls for:
4 sesame seed hamburger bun tops (Yeah I don't know what the hell to do with the 4 hamburger bun bottoms either. They are sitting on my counter right now staring at me.)
1 small red onion, divided (I did use an onion that was a little big and it was a little overpowering)
2 plum tomatoes (aka. roma tomatoes)
3/4 lb lean ground beef (I was so excited I found organic ground beef at Vons. We are making progress people)
1/2 cup finely diced dill pickles (Love recipes with pickles because while I was dicing I was munching)
3/4 cup ketchup
1T yellow mustard
8 cups thinly sliced romaine lettuce (I didn't measure my lettuce and I think I may have lettuce overkill)
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese.

1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Slice bun tops into 1/4" strips. Arrange on a cooking sheet in a single layer and bake for 8-10 min or until lightly toasted.Remove and cool completely
2. Slice half of the onion crosswise into thin rings. Cut tomatoes. Set tomatoes and onion aside
3. Cook ground beef over med-high for 5-7 min or until no longer pink; breaking into crumbles. Chop remaining onion half. Finely dice pickles. Combine onion, pickles, ketchup and mustard. Add ground beef.
4. Arrange lettuce on a serving plate. Spoon beef mixture over lettuce. Top with cheese, tomatoes and sliced onion. Arrange hamburger bun croutons on top.

***I also tried a bite of this with blue cheese salad dressing because I love blue cheese burgers and that was super good. ***

I do have to admit that I like the way this recipe looks even more than I liked the way it tastes. It tastes like an American classic but I just thought it looked visually stimulating. And the recipe is super easy and takes very little effort so this would be a fun summer patio recipe.



I also have another really good risotto recipe because my risotto obsession is continuing. On Friday night I had a girls cooking get together...this was with the same friend who I made tomato soup with and destroyed her kitchen by exploding the soup in the blender all over her kitchen cabinets. Yes, amazingly we are still friends. Anyway I digress we made Risotto with Pesto and Peas. This was a great cheesy and creamy risotto recipe and I loved the fresh mozzarella and the pesto. The recipe came from Food Network and not only did it taste good it did not destroy the kitchen.


Ingredients

  • Kosher salt
  • 3 leeks (white and light green parts only), thinly sliced
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 1 cup arborio rice
  • 1/2 cup dry white wine (optional)
  • 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
  • 3/4 cup diced ham
  • 3/4 cup pesto
  • 1 cup small fresh mozzarella balls or diced fresh mozzarella
  • 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese

Directions

Make the broth: Bring 6 cups water and 1 teaspoon salt to a simmer in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the leeks and cook until tender, 3 to 4 minutes; remove with a slotted spoon to a bowl. Adjust the heat to keep the broth at a gentle simmer.
Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon butter in a wide saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the rice and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add the wine and cook, stirring, until almost evaporated, about 1 more minute.
Add 2 cups of the hot leek broth to the rice; cook, stirring occasionally, until almost absorbed, about 6 minutes (adjust the heat to keep the risotto at a simmer). Add 1 more cup broth and cook, stirring, until almost absorbed, about 5 more minutes. Add the leeks, peas and 1 more cup broth and cook, stirring, until almost absorbed, about 5 more minutes. Taste the rice: If it is not fully cooked, add a little more broth and continue to cook, stirring, until al dente.
Stir in the ham and remaining 1 tablespoon butter. Remove from the heat; stir in 2/3 cup pesto, the mozzarella and parmesan. Season with salt. Divide among bowls and top with the remaining pesto.

Finally my random topic of the day. I helped my best friend with her garage sale yesterday. And I have to admit I am not much of a garage sale girl...I would pretty much prefer poking out my eyes to having a garage sale but I was bound and determined to have a good time. So not only did I try on all of the random clothing and ride the tractor that was for sale I also tried to assist her by marketing what I deemed to be the item that was least likely to sell via Facebook. This item was a genuine alligator skull which she purchased in New Orleans. Yes, I know you must all have the same questions that I asked myself:
1. Why the hell did she buy this?
2. How much alcohol did she consume prior to deciding that this was a good purchase?
3. How much did she pay for this alligator head?
4. Why the hell did she think this was going to sell at a garage sale?
5. Does alligator really taste like chicken?
6. How can I have a friend who has an alligator head?


So I don't really have answers to all of these questions, but this is what I can tell you.
1. I haven't the slightest idea. She told me she was planning on putting it on a shelf...um but that doesn't help explain its existence much.
2. A hell of a lot!!!
3. $10-12
4. She knows the garage sale market much better than I do
5. I haven't tried alligator but I think I need to. I can tell you that according to my research on-line most people do say that alligator does taste like chicken. My favorite comment was from someone who said if you put chicken seasoning on alligator it tastes like chicken...well no shit sherlock...
6. Diversity is what makes the world go round....

I can also tell you that my Facebook marketing did not help in the sale of the alligator head. However, I can tell you that it was actually one of the first items that sold and it went for $2.00...I was completely amazed it sold at all and that someone would pay $2.00 for it...which explains why I am not in the alligator head selling business because I completely underestimated that market.

Cheers!!!

3 comments:

  1. I was wondering why I got an email reply at that late hour...

    you are hilarious!!! Thank goodness your BF is a good sport!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I am lucky that she doesn't mind being my victim. BTW I love Usher too!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Danah, I always "miss" your replies unless I come back to your blog and look for them. Is there a way that I can twitch my profile or you can do something on your end to make the reply come to me automatically?

    If not, no worries, I can come back when I get a chance.

    ReplyDelete

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews