Powered by Blogger.
Sunday, August 26, 2012

I can find wine anywhere...

As many of you know I am in Atlanta, GA and sure as I was flying here I was thinking,"what am I going to do for wine over the next 4 days?" However, never fear I can find good wine anywhere. I am kind of like those people that can find water so people can build wells...yeah I am similar to that but a little different and a little less handy. So today I decided to give Georgia wine a try. And I know many of you are thinking, what? Georgia wine? I know in California we think of Georgia as being more of a moonshine type of place, but I have to say I was impressed.



I also learned about a new grape varietal that I had never heard of....muscadine. I thought it was similar to a muscat variety based on the name, but I learned that I was wrong. It is a sweeter grape but alas not a relative of muscat or muscato.  Muscadine is a native grape to Georgia, it does not grow in clusters and its actually recognized for its health benefits. Figures the grape that I am not super fond of is the one that has the most health benefits. This grape was discovered in the 16th century when Ponce de Leon was trying to discover the fountain of youth...granted the health benefits do not cure aging but they are supposed to be high in anti-oxidants which is helpful.



So today I went to Chateau Elan which felt like stepping into another country as it resembles a villa in a European land. It is surrounded by beautiful grape vines and acres of amazingly manicured lawns. The winery started in 1984 and it also has restaurants, a hotel and spa on the property. It was really very impressive. They actually grow a great deal of their grapes on the property-chardonnay, carbernet, merlot and of course mescadine. And I have to say that although I went into this adventure with a preconceived California wine snob mentality I was pleasantly surprised. The chardonnay is very light and made in stainless steel but it was very smooth and easy to drink. The viognier was also very light and crisp but it honestly had too much of a banana flavor for my tastes...but if you like banana you would probably like it. I also tried the cabernet and the merlot. The merlot was my favorite and that is the wine that is coming home with me. Its a very smooth and full of flavor ,wine that would very easily pair with food. The cab was also good but it was a little too acidic and dry for my tastes.



The only draw back is that they don't ship their wines out of the state so if you want to try it you either need to bribe me to share or come to the Atlanta area for a visit. Here is the web page: http://www.chateauelan.com/epicurean/winery/

If you need some bribery ideas let me help you:

  • Petite sirah is my favorite one of the moment
  • I really want to try Sprinkles cupcakes
  • I love shoes and I have a great collection
  • I want breakfast in bed (see previous blog)
Now I also need to share a picture of my Mom's food mentor and the savior of my very existence. This woman saved me from a life of crappy, nasty, bland and way too healthy food.  If it wasn't for her I probably would have been forced to exist as a child on tofu and green tea. No, I wasn't being raised in a prison that was just the vegetarian health mentality of my Mother in the 1970's. She taught my Mom how to cook and taught her everything she knew about Italian food. She was an amazing Chef who loved to cook and nurture through food. I learned yesterday that she would keep cakes frozen in the freezer in the event that company stopped by...god knows company can't leave hungry. She would always whip up cakes and icing to entice her guests-love it!! 

This cake was made from Helen's recipe...thank you


Helen was the Mother of one of my Mom's best friends and she truly took my Mom under her wing and taught her how to bake and cook. I remember her making me homemade pancakes as a kid...I think they may have had chocolate chips in them sometimes. She always made amazing Italian food packed with cheesy goodness. She made Xmas cookies that were always light and flaky. And she always had the smile on her face that you see in this picture...complete with bright lipstick that stained your cheeks. Cheers to you Helen!









1 comment:

  1. Wow, you got Grandma's cake! That is usually a recipe reserved for birthdays! I guess it is your belated birthday so it's okay.

    ReplyDelete

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews