Powered by Blogger.
Saturday, August 4, 2012

My First Cocktail

I know many of you read the title of this blog and screamed "liar," right? But before you get all agitated let me explain. This is my first cocktail recipe on my blog...woot woot!! Sure I have talked a lot about wine and beer but since I don't normally make cocktails I don't usually talk about them. Plus the name of my blog kind of made me chuckle because it sounds like a kids toy. I googled "My First Kids Toys," and low and behold there is a ton of firsts for little kids...some of which were almost as crazy as "My First Cocktail." For example, there is my first shaving kit, my first phone and my first Craftsmen tool set. Granted I don't have kids but I don't think you should give 2 year olds power tools. Actually the only thing worse would be giving them cocktails and power tools just saying.



Anyway today I made Sparkling Grape Cocktails. This recipe came from Rachael Ray and although it was tasty it actually reminded me why I don't make cocktails...they are a lot of work and I just find opening a bottle of wine so much easier. I also haven't had grape juice since I was a kid so this truly felt like "my first cocktail."

This recipe was super easy, but I honestly felt that some of the requirements of the recipe just weren't necessary. First of all the recipe has you mash 20 grapes with a potato masher. Ok that is easiest enough to do, but why? The mashed grapes go in a bowl and you add honey to them. Um yet again, why? In my opinion grape juice is plenty sweet and I didn't put the mashed grapes in the glasses because I didn't want anyone to choke...I just personally think that choking takes all the fun out of a great day...call me crazy! So now I have a grape juice, honey and mashed grape mixture. Add the grape juice mixture to the glasses and then add the champagne. Add frozen grapes to the glass. And then you can finally drink. By the end of all of that I was pretty darn parched!! They did look pretty and they were tasty, but I think it could have been simplified by adding champagne and grape juice together....just my opinion.


  • 36 seedless red grapes, stemmed
  • quart pure grape juice, chilled
  • tablespoon honey
  • bottle  sparkling wine

Directions

  1. Freeze 16 grapes to use as garnish. Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, use a potato masher to smash the remaining grapes. Whisk in the grape juice and honey.
  2. Fill 8 champagne glasses halfway with the grape juice mixture. Top each glass with sparkling wine and garnish with 2 frozen grapes; serve immediately.


Cheers!!

0 comments:

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews