Powered by Blogger.
Sunday, August 12, 2012

Time to put on my big girl panties...

So as many of you know I love grilled food but to be completely honest last night was the first time I have grilled unsupervised. I am usually the one who prepares the marinade, gets everything ready for the grill and takes care of it once it has come off the grill. However, last night I put on my big girl panties and took on the grill myself. It was kind of like running with scissors...you feel a whoosh of freedom, exhilaration and independence...ok and maybe a little fear too. However,  after its over and you realize you survived and you did not char the hell out of your hands, you did not set your hair on fire and you did not have to stop, drop and roll at any point during the experience....you pretty much just feel like a success!!!



Last night I decided to make Grilled Scallop Salad from Cooking Light. This salad was different as it consisted of romaine lettuce, avocado, watermelon, mint and grilled scallops. It also had an olive oil and lime vinaigrette dressing...very light and very summery.  However, I did decide to grill the romaine lettuce instead of leaving it raw. I also decided to add some feta cheese because I thought the salt of the cheese would go well with the watermelon and it did...definitely recommend this addition. I also added salt because well as you know I think Cooking Light recipes lack salt.



I used a gas grill because well the thought of learning how to start a charcoal briquette and using lighter fluid around my accident prone self just sounded like a recipe for disaster. So once the grill was on I put the scallops and the cucumber on a grill pan. I thought this would decrease the sticking and it worked well, but at the end of the scallop cooking cycle I did throw them briefly on the grate directly just to give them the grill marks. This recipe was also different in that it had me grill the cucumber. I have never had a cooked cucumber let alone a grilled one, but I have to say it was good. The cucumber was seasoned with salt and pepper and it tasted like a cucumber...well just warm. Try it!

I put the romaine lettuce on the top rack and brushed them with olive oil and cooked them about 3 minutes on each side...actually the exact same amount of time that I cooked the cucumber and the scallops. All in all I have to say this recipe was very time friendly and it was easy to coordinate when everything would come together. My only word of caution...other than be careful around a bbq...is just to watch the scallops closely because there is a thin line between a cooked scallop and an over done chewy rubbery scallop...so 3 minutes on each side was truly perfect.




  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
  • 3/8 teaspoon salt, divided
  • 12 large sea scallops (about 1 1/2 pounds)
  • English cucumber, halved lengthwise
  • Cooking spray
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
  • 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil 
  • 4 cups torn romaine lettuce 
  • 3 cups (1-inch) cubed seedless watermelon 
  • 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves, torn
  • 1/2 peeled avocado, cut into 8 slices 

Preparation

  1. 1. Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
  2. 2. Sprinkle 1/4 teaspoon pepper and 1/4 teaspoon salt over scallops and cucumber. Arrange in a single layer on a grill rack coated with cooking spray. Grill 3 minutes on each side or until scallops are done and cucumber is well marked. Remove from heat; cut cucumber into 1/4-inch slices.
  3. 3. Combine remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt, juice, and oil in a large bowl; stir with a whisk. Add cucumber, lettuce, watermelon, and mint; toss gently to coat. Divide the watermelon mixture evenly among 4 plates. Top each serving with 3 scallops and 2 avocado slices. Sprinkle evenly with remaining 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper.


The watermelon added a nice sweetness and it was contrasted well with the lime dressing, the salty feta cheese and the char of the romaine lettuce. I have to say I was pretty darn pleased with myself. Just saying. Cheers!!

Finally, if you are looking for the worlds fastest, easiest way to make guacamole try this product. I love Rick Bayless which is the reason I purchased this guacamole mix. All you need to do is add 2 avocados and well I added a little salt and voila. Good flavor and super easy!! I actually found this product at Target.


1 comment:

  1. So I can't remember if I said I would comment here or on Facebook, so if I flip flop, please forgive...

    At one point in my career, I worked with a student intern from Germany. One day at lunch, I kid you not; she took her cucumber and zapped it in the microwave oven. All of us were shocked to say the least. She happily ate the thing in front of us.

    This was a lesson to us all. We learned to accept the different eating habits of people from other counties as they accept ours. I never did try the nuked cucumber and now that I read a similar tale in your blog, I guess I'll give it a try.

    My brother has a huge garden and the summer vegetables are coming out in hordes including the zucchini and cucumber. Tomorrow I will eat warm cucumber!

    ReplyDelete

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews