Powered by Blogger.
Tuesday, August 14, 2012

I know this sounds really strange but I promise its good...

Yes, I know I am that girl that is always like,"this is disgusting try it," but seriously I know this sounds strange but it is really good. The other night I made Tomato Peanut Soup and yes I know it sounds bizarre, but it is truly tasty.  I had the same reaction from everyone I told about the recipe...something like,"Really? Hmmm well ok." And because I am such a good people person I can read between the lines and that comment actually means,"well that sounds like the most disgusting thing on the face of the earth, but yeah whatever as long as I don't have to eat it knock yourself out."



And that is what I did...I decided to put all of the naysayers to the side and cook my little heart out. Not only is the Tomato Peanut Soup tasty its easy. It actually kind of reminds me of a thinner version of peanut sauce which I love. It has a hint of spice from Madras curry powder and it has a bit of texture from the pureed vegetables. I actually think it would be excellent served over white rice...not that I ate it like that at all.



Since this was my first time cooking with Madras curry powder I obviously had to google it to discover what exactly makes it different from "regular curry powder." It actually has added spices to it to make it well ya know spicy. It has chili powder, mustard seed and cloves added to it. And in case you wanted to know how to scorch the hell out of your mouth, well let me help you. Bengali is the hottest chili powder on the planet...yes you can thank me later.



Anyway this recipe starts by sauteing an onion, green bell pepper and celery in olive oil. Then you add the garlic, curry powder, paprika, cayenne and salt. OMG this concoction smelled so good!! Sure it made me sneeze like 900 times probably because I stuck my nose in the pot, but let me just say it was worth it.  And I did not sneeze in the soup in case you were one of the recipients of leftovers, just wanted to clarify that.

After that sneeze attack you add the crushed tomatoes, chicken broth, brown sugar and water. Whisk in the peanut butter and bring to a boil. Simmer for 30 min and then put the soup in the blender. Don't forget my trick of taking the center piece out of the lid of the blender so you don't create a blender volcano...just saying. And the soup is done!! The recipe recommends that you top the soup with with creme fraiche, cilantro or chopped peanuts. I opted for creme fraiche and it added a new creamy texture to it and well much needed calories.

Seriously just try it...don't judge it until you at least give it a shot.


  • 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling
  • 1 small onion, finely chopped
  • 1 green bell pepper, finely chopped
  • 1 stalk celery, finely chopped, plus leaves for topping
  • 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
  • 1/2 teaspoon Madras-style curry powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon paprika
  • 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • Kosher salt
  • 1 15-ounce can crushed tomatoes
  • 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
  • 1 teaspoon packed light brown sugar
  • 1/3 cup smooth peanut butter
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • Creme fraiche, fresh cilantro and chopped peanuts, for topping

Directions

Heat the olive oil in a pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion, bell pepper and celery; cook, stirring, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, curry powder, paprika, cayenne and 1 teaspoon salt; cook, stirring, 2 more minutes.
Add the tomatoes, chicken broth, brown sugar and 1 cup water to the pot, then whisk in the peanut butter until incorporated. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer gently, stirring occasionally, until the soup thickens slightly, about 30 minutes. Puree with an immersion blender or in a regular blender in batches.Season with salt and black pepper.
Ladle the soup into bowls; top with creme fraiche, celery leaves, cilantro and peanuts. Drizzle with olive oil.

0 comments:

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews