Powered by Blogger.
Friday, August 3, 2012

Tacos & Life Lessons

Let's start with life lessons, shall we? Today I learned a few life lessons that I thought I should share with you all. Ok sure not all of them have a food correlation but I think they are still valuable none the less. So here it goes...life lessons from today:

  • A few glasses of wine before shopping allows for inhibitions to melt away. That is how I ended up with a sign that says "All you need in life is love...and a cat." Yup that sign ended up coming home with me...and no I don't know where I am putting it.
  • Before doing the sprinkler (yes, the disco dance move) in a restaurant one should look around for people or objects otherwise you may hit your waitress with your flailing arms and the conversation that ensues is friggin awkward. 
  • The avocado egg rolls at Cheesecake Factory are a slice of heaven
  • The Apple store can solve all problems!! My phone wasn't holding a charge and it was super hot and Jose was able to help free of charge. He also was more than willing to give advice on life. 
  • If you live in Ventura County I definitely recommend the Assistance League Thrift Store at 783 E Thousand Oaks Blvd...great finds!!

Ok moving on to food. As many of you know I have been on this taco kick and so yesterday I decided to try another fun taco recipe. This recipe was from Cooking Light and it was for Chicken Tacos with Mango Avocado Salsa. Let me say that I am big mango fan and I am an even bigger avocado fan so you put the two together and you get a pretty happy Danah.

When I first read the recipe I was a little concerned that the tacos might be a tad bit on the boring side just because they only consisted of the salsa and the chicken. But the salsa is so flavorful and the chicken so well seasoned that boring was pretty much the last word that came to mind. I actually doubled the salsa recipe just so I could have extra for later...well that kind of backfired because I pretty much ate it by the spoonful as I cooked and so extra for later just wasn't a reality. 



The salsa is super easy to make. Chop the mango, avocado, tomato, onion, cilantro, lime juice and jalapeno. Mix together in a bow and add salt and DONE!!! Ready for you to snack on while you cook the chicken. 

The rub for the chicken was really good and although normally Cooking Light recipes are a tad bit on the bland side this was not one of those recipes. The rub consisted of garlic powder, paprika, onion powder, salt and ground red pepper. Evenly rub the spice mixture on both sides of the chicken and cook in a skillet with olive oil. The recipe does say to cook the chicken for 4 minutes on each side, but since I am raw chicken paranoid I honestly cooked it probably closer to 8 minutes per side. I did this because for some strange reason the thought of violent vomiting and horrendous food poisoning just doesn't sound like my idea of a good time. Call me crazy. 

Anyway this was a super easy recipe and it was really good! This is actually one that I would make again...yeah I know that we all know I will never make it again...but at least you know that its a good indicator of how good the recipe is. 

  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon paprika
  • 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
  • (6-ounce) skinless, boneless chicken breast halves 
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil 
  • 1/2 cup diced peeled mango 
  • 1/2 cup diced peeled avocado 
  • 1/2 cup chopped tomato 
  • 1/3 cup prechopped onion 
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
  • 1 tablespoon minced jalapeño pepper
  • (6-inch) corn tortillas

Preparation

  1. 1. Heat a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Combine first 4 ingredients; stir in 1/2 teaspoon salt. Rub over chicken. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add chicken; cook 4 minutes on each side or until done. Remove chicken from pan; let stand 5 minutes. Cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices.
  2. 2. While chicken cooks, combine mango and next 6 ingredients (through jalapeño); stir in remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt.
  3. 3. Heat tortillas according to package directions; top with chicken and salsa.
Hope everyone is enjoying the Olympics and have an amazing weekend. Cheers!!

1 comment:

  1. I believe you meant to say mix all the salsa ingredients in a bowl not a bow. Great blog!!

    ReplyDelete

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews