Powered by Blogger.
Monday, September 3, 2012

My blueberry scones look like Barney the purple dinosaur

So according to the picture on this recipe my blueberry scones are supposed to be a yellowish golden brown color but alas my scones look like Barney the purple dinosaur. The recipe says I need to toss the frozen blueberries with cornstarch and supposedly that will keep the blueberry juice from permeating the entire scone yet alas that is a big fat lie!!! Because my scones look like this:



Thankfully my scones do not sing and dance like Barney, however the color is pretty spot on. Thankfully they make up in taste what they lack in aesthetics. They also are super easy to make which increases their sex appeal...sure I just wanted to use the word sex in my blog...but seriously they are easy which is great.

Plus since I gave up my dishwasher for the gas stove I was pretty thrilled that this recipe only calls for 2 bowls...and that's impressive considering I am that cook that uses every utensil in the kitchen...and sometimes I have to borrow some accoutrement from a neighbor...yeah that is just how I role.



Anyway I digress. These scones have you add all of the dry ingredients in a bowl. Then make a well in the middle of the dry ingredients and add the wet ingredients, which consist of buttermilk, egg and lime peel. Does anyone else notice that every time they buy buttermilk it goes bad? I always buy it for one recipe and the rest just spoils, anyone interested in doing a buttermilk co-op? Yeah I know I should probably buy buttermilk powder or something less inclined to going bad but seriously that is way too easy and that would not allow me to bitch about something in my blog...and how fun is that.

Once you mix the dry and wet ingredients together toss the frozen blueberries and cornstarch together in a separate bowl. As a side note for some strange reason I have 4 containers of cornstarch so if anyone needs some please let me know and its yours. Yeah I don't know how I accumulated so much cornstarch...I just don't even want to spend the time analyzing that ridiculous question.

Finally once you add the blueberries to the batter, just plop the dough onto a greased baking pan. Cook for 12-15 minutes at 450 degrees. Finally mix powdered sugar and lime juice together creating a glaze for the top of your scones and once they are done sprinkle with the glaze and slice almonds...ahh lovely purple little pastry wonders!!! Yes, I know not pretty but remember tasty.


ingredients
  • Nonstick cooking spray
  • 1 1/3
    cups all-purpose flour
  • 2/3
    cup yellow cornmeal
  • 2
    tablespoons granulated sugar
  • 2
    tablespoons packed brown sugar
  • 1 1/2
    teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/4
    teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/3
    cup cold butter, cut up
  • 1/2
    cup buttermilk
  • 1
    egg
  • 1 1/2
    teaspoons finely shredded lime peel
  • 1
    cup frozen blueberries*
  • 1
    teaspoon cornstarch
  • 3 - 4
    teaspoons lime juice
  • 1
    cup powdered sugar
  • 3
    tablespoons chopped almonds, toasted

    Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Coat a large baking sheet with cooking spray; set aside.

2.In a large bowl combine flour, cornmeal, granulated sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cut in butter until flour mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Make a well in center. Combine buttermilk, egg, and peel; add all at once to flour mixture. Stir with a fork just until moistened.
3.Toss berries with cornstarch to coat; add to flour mixture. Stir gently 3 to 5 turns, just until berries are incorporated (do not overmix). Using a large spoon, drop dough into 12 mounds on baking sheet, leaving 1 inch between mounds. Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until tops are golden. For icing, in a small bowl whisk enough lime juice into powdered sugar until drizzling consistency. Drizzle over warm scones. Sprinkle with nuts. Serve warm. Makes 12 scones.


Happy Labor Day!!!

3 comments:

  1. Great story! Did you drain the blueberries before adding the starch? It is always possible Barney Scones could become the next big thing. You better contact him and work out a deal!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love blueberry scones and I am still laughing at the name Barney Scones. It might be a great way to get kids to try them. After all, they always like Barney and it might make a healthy choice more fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did not drain the blueberries maybe that is what I did wrong. And thanks Anna for finding the positives in my purple scones haha.

    ReplyDelete

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews