Powered by Blogger.
Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Tonight felt like a pasta night...

After running 3 miles at the gym I decided I needed a little post-run carb load. Ok sure normally you carb load before you run, but hell its me and you all know how I love to break the rules...so I went with it. I actually don't carb load before runs, even the big ones. For some reason my body always craves protein so I normally eat chicken or fish.  I get so nervous before a big race that I usually can't eat the morning of and I have to run 13+ miles off whatever I ate the night before. Isn't that just friggin awesome that I have half marathon performance anxiety? Sure I can talk in front of a crowd, jump out of an airplane, call a high speed vehicle pursuit on a police radio, talk to a brick wall...but I pretty much want to vomit on my shoes before I run 13 miles by myself. Ahhh the weird running idiosyncrasies...but alas this is not a running blog...this is a food blog



So tonight I made Orecchiette Salad with Roast Beef. Thought this would be a great recipe for after a run because it has the carbs from the pasta, the protein in the roast beef and some vegetables so it's pretty much a well rounded meal on a plate.

This recipe is also super easy which as you all know I just love...especially because by the time I ran, went to the grocery store and took a shower it was already 2100 and I was starting to get sleepy. So cook the pasta in salted water. Did you all know that orecchiette means "little ears?" This is a picture of the pasta up close...I guess if you have really had a few glasses of wine you would start to see an ear in this pasta shape...eh details right.



Then in a large bowl mix the bocconcini (baby mozzarella balls), artichokes (I was hoping for extras so I could snack on them as I cooked but there weren't any), marinated peppers and mint (but I used basil and it was yum). Then add olive oil, lemon zest, lemon juice and salt/pepper. Btw if you are not the proud owner of a lemon zester do yourself a favor and go buy one...it will truly make you happy.



Add the pasta and finally add the roast beef and the arugula. I used an arugula and spinach blend just so the arugula wasn't totally over powering and I thought it worked great.


  • Kosher salt
  • 8 ounces orecchiette pasta
  • 1 cup bocconcini (small mozzarella balls), halved
  • 1 cup marinated artichoke hearts, quartered
  • 8 small sweet marinated peppers (such as Peppadew), quartered
  • 3 tablespoons chopped fresh mint or basil
  • 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
  • Freshly ground pepper
  • 4 cups baby arugula
  • 6 ounces deli-sliced roast beef, cut into strips

Directions

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the pasta and cook as the label directs; drain but don't rinse.
Meanwhile, combine the bocconcini, artichokes, marinated peppers and mint in a serving bowl. Add the olive oil, lemon zest and juice, and salt and pepper to taste and toss. Add the pasta and toss again.
Just before serving, stir in the arugula and roast beef. Season the salad with pepper.


This salad has a lot of great flavor as the citrus from the lemon, the spice from the arugula and the roasted peppers are a great combination paired with the pasta and roast beef. I think this salad would be great with a nice pinot noir but since I was dehydrated from my run I just drank water.

Hope everyone has a fantastic week. Cheers my friends!

1 comment:

  1. What a delicious sounding salad with pasta and roast beef. I have never used baby mozzarella balls, I have to check this one out. It would be great with a glass pinot noir.

    ReplyDelete

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews