Powered by Blogger.
Sunday, September 16, 2012

My Past & Present with Snickerdoodles

So its not often that I work a Saturday and since I was working yesterday I decided I needed to bring in goodies. I found a yummy Betty Crocker recipe or actually it found me. I get so many food emails now its not very often that I have to look for a recipe, they pretty much jump out at me and scream,"make me!!!" And this recipe did exactly that...it sounded easy, yummy and comforting which is pretty much all that needs to be said to peak my interest. So I decided to make Snickerdoodle Bars...however I have to say they kind of lacked the Snickerdoodle spices except for cinnamon so they actually reminded me more of Cinnamon Roll Bars. Just in case you wanted my opinion.



My first Snickerdoodle memory was in 8th grade. I had a crush on this boy and for some random reason I found out he loved Snickerdoodles...yeah I am not sure how the hell I knew that because even in the most awkward romantic phases I don't remember using the phrase,"so what is your favorite cookie?" Anyway I decided to try and make Snickerdoodles to win his heart...ya know the old adage a way to a guys heart is through his stomach...well I decided to give that a try. And they must have been pretty amazing cookies because we started to "date," whatever that means when you are 12. In my experience it meant we kissed once, we danced at our 8th grade graduation dance and we saw each other once like at the mall or something. It was pretty serious!! However, I guess I didn't continue to bake because I got dumped for soccer season because he needed to focus on his game. As you can see from my description of our "relationship" I was really requiring a lot of time and I was truly impacting his game. I know this is going to surprise you but he did not make it pro....which I am still amazed by because there are so many world renowned soccer players that came out of Humboldt County. But I am still making Snickerdoodles so at least I got the last laugh...or well something like that.

However, due to my post traumatic stress disorder relating to Snickerdoodles I decided to try this recipe which shapes them in more of a bar/brownie format. And although I have to say they were pretty tasty they just didn't taste like Snickerdoodles to me. They also kind of screamed more breakfast treat rather than dessert treat, but try them and let me know what you think. All and all they were very easy to make and the recipe is pretty fool proof.



The first thing you do is mix the dry ingredients...easy enough. Then cream the butter, sugars, eggs and vanilla. Add in the dry mixture to the wet mixture and hence your dough. Put half the dough on the bottom of the pan.



Sprinkle with the cinnamon and sugar mixture and then put spoon fulls of more dough on top. Once you put it in the oven you will acquire that pretty swirled texture.



Once the bars have cooled make the glaze which consists of powdered sugar, milk and vanilla and drizzle on top of the bars.


 

2 1/3
cups Gold Medal® all-purpose flour
1 1/4
teaspoons baking powder
1/2
teaspoon salt
3/4
cup butter or margarine, softened
1 1/4
cups granulated sugar
1/2
cup packed brown sugar
3
eggs
1
teaspoon vanilla
Cinnamon Filling
1
tablespoon granulated sugar
1
tablespoon cinnamon
Glaze
1
cup powdered sugar
1
to 2 tablespoons milk
1/4
teaspoon vanilla
  • 1Heat oven to 350° F. Spray or grease bottom only of a 13x9-inch baking pan with cooking spray. In small bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
  • 2In large bowl, beat butter with electric mixer on high speed until creamy. Beat in sugars. Gradually beat in eggs and vanilla into sugar mixture until combined. On low speed, beat in dry ingredients until combined.
  • 3Spoon half the batter into pan; spread evenly. Sprinkle cinnamon-sugar mixture evenly over batter.
  • 4Dollop teaspoon size amounts of remaining batter evenly over cinnamon-sugar mixture.
  • 5Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool completely, about 1 hour.
  • 6In small bowl, stir glaze ingredients until smooth and thin enough to drizzle. Drizzle over bars. For bars, cut into 6 rows by 4 rows.


0 comments:

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews