Powered by Blogger.
Thursday, December 19, 2013

19th Day of Christmas: Orange Cranberry Cookies

I have definitely been in the Christmas baking spirit and I have had so much fun with it. You can actually tell just how much fun I have been having when you look at my kitchen. Even after cleaning up after my baking I am finding remnants of a cookie explosion all over my kitchen....smear of chocolate across the outside of the fridge, shard of candy cane stuck in my foot, white chocolate on my camera lens and peppermint in my hair.





I decided the other day that although I love chocolate, I supposed some people do not share that same affinity, so I made one batch of cookies that were sans chocolate. Yes, I agree, I think people who don't like chocolate are just weird, but I am trying to accommodate the masses. Haha. So I made Orange Cranberry Cookies and I hate to admit this, but they were really good. The citrus in the frosting and in the cookie batter, the tanginess from the cranberries and the sweetness from the sugar are just a really nice combination. The cookies are light and fluffy and for some reason, cranberries scream holidays to me, so it just works!

My Kitchenaid mixer is definitely getting a workout these days and this recipe also allowed me to pull it off the shelf. Cream the butter with the white and brown sugar. Add the egg. Next add the orange zest and orange juice.

Combine the dry ingredients in a separate bowl and then mix with the butter mixture.


Stir in the cranberries. I did not use the optional walnuts and I can't tell you why, maybe it just didn't feel right.

Drop the dough onto a cookie sheet, about a tablespoon per cookie, and bake for 12 minutes in a 375 degree oven.

Once they are cool, combine the powdered sugar, orange zest and orange juice and drizzle over the cookies. Easy Peasy and Yummy!!

Here is the recipe:


1 cup butter, softened
 1 cup white sugar
 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
 1 egg
 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
 2 tablespoons orange juice
 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
 1/2 teaspoon salt
 2 cups chopped cranberries
 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

 1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest
 3 tablespoons orange juice
 1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar


Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
In a large bowl, cream together the butter, white sugar and brown sugar until smooth. Beat in the egg until well blended. Mix in 1 teaspoon orange zest and 2 tablespoons orange juice. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; stir into the orange mixture. Mix in cranberries and if using, walnuts, until evenly distributed. Drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets. Cookies should be spaced at least 2 inches apart.
Bake for 12 to 14 minutes in the preheated oven, until the edges are golden. Remove from cookie sheets to cool on wire racks.
In a small bowl, mix together 1/2 teaspoon orange zest, 3 tablespoons orange juice and confectioners' sugar until smooth. Spread over the tops of cooled cookies. Let stand until set.

On a side note, I was just thinking the other day about how I missed writing letters to Santa and/or sitting on Santa's lap...get your mind out of the gutter. And I was thinking oh maybe I should write a "Dear Santa" letter for this blog, not to be confused with a "Dear John," letter, I am really good at those. But a large box ended up at my door and I realized I did not need to write a Santa letter because Santa knows me so well! Thank you Santa!! You seriously made my friggin year!!





0 comments:

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews