Powered by Blogger.
Saturday, December 7, 2013

7th Day of Christmas: Peanut Butter Fudge Gone Bad

So after 6 days of being spot on with food and wine, on the 7th day I struck out. That is what I get for following a recipe that claims to be "Easy Peanut Butter Fudge," kind of like those restaurants that claim to be "#1 Pizza Restaurant in Southern California," and as you walk in you think, hmmm according to whom and how exactly did you get this so called #1 rating. Well that is exactly what occurred with me and this so called "easy" fudge recipe.




To begin with, in my opinion it was just too sweet. And honestly I was concerned about the 2 cups of sugar when I started this recipe so I used a 1/2 cup of natural peanut butter that was unsweetened and a 1/2 cup of Skippy that was sweetened. I thought that might soften the sugar coma a bit for me, but alas it was still just too sweet.

My second issue with this recipe was the texture. It didn't have that creamy fudge recipe. When I cut into it...well it flaked and no one wants fudge that flakes.

And my third issues is that although I love peanut butter, too much of a good thing is well just too much of a peanut butter taste. I love fudge that has a chocolate/peanut butter conglomeration, but the pure peanut butter fudge, well was just too overpowering for me.



However, because I love to always be positive, let me just say that yes it was easy. Bring the sugar and milk to a boil . Cook for 2 1/2 minutes.


Remove from the heat and add the peanut butter and vanilla. And another positive attribute was the fact that is smelled amazing.

Pour it into an 8x8 pan and let it cool.


Easy Peanut Butter Fudge

By ABIGAIL R. GEHRING
MAKES
About 16 pieces
ACTIVE TIME
10 min.

INGREDIENTS

2 cups granulated white sugar
½ cup milk
1 cup peanut butter (smooth or chunky)
1 tsp vanilla extract
DIRECTIONS

Grease an 8x8-inch baking pan.

In a medium saucepan, bring sugar and milk to a boil. Allow to boil for about 2½ minutes, stirring regularly, and then remove from heat. Add the peanut butter and vanilla and stir until smooth.

Pour the mixture into the pan and allow to cool until set. Slice into 1-inch squares.


However, since I have another half marathon tomorrow I couldn't bank my culinary dreams on one fudge recipe, so I had a back-up mix of matzoh ball soup, which really made me happy. Love the salt, the celery salt and well the matzoh balls. So cheers and wish me good luck on another freezing ass cold run. Happy Holidays and please do not make this fudge recipe, even if it is for your in-laws that you don't care for.

2 comments:

  1. We absolutely loved the peanut butter fudge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I forgot to add that I used 1 cup of Jif creamy peanut butter and the texture was perfect!

    ReplyDelete

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews