Powered by Blogger.
Wednesday, December 4, 2013

4th Day of Christmas: Christmas Morning Coffee Cake


I have amazing childhood memories of Christmas morning. I truly remember being so excited I couldn't sleep, waking my Mom up at the crack of dawn to open presents and feeling like true magic had occurred as my living room was transformed into a winter wonderland overnight  filled with childhood delights. I don't know if it was my distorted memory or just experiencing Christmas through the eyes of a child but I swear everything was brighter, shinier and more surreal on Christmas morning. I believed in Santa until I was quite old, like 25, ok maybe not that old, but I was older than most kids. And I remember when I figured it out, I was so devastated, even until this day I am kind of in denial and so I just go with the whole Santa thing...hmmm wonder who will eat the cookies I leave out for him this year?

In terms of Christmas morning food we always had my Aunt and Uncle over brunch. The big celebration in my family was always on Christmas Eve, but Christmas morning was for savoring a cup of coffee (them not me I was already short I didn't need to stunt my growth more). And we would always have bagels and cream cheese, usually lox and some type of egg dish. I, however, always ate left over spanokapita. My Mom usually made extra for me from the night before so I could eat it  after opening presents. And if you haven't eaten my Mom's spanokapita you haven't lived.She used light flaky phyllo dough, a crap load of butter and she stuffed it with ricotta, mozzarella, spinach and other stuff. It is truly what dreams are made of, however because I saw her have mini-tempter tantrums with the phyllo dough every year, I kind of have nightmares about it and I have never tried to make it myself.

However, if you are looking for something easier and more low maintenance to make on Christmas morning this coffee cake recipe is beyond easy. First of all combine the dry ingredients-flour, baking powder, sugar and salt.

Next cut in the shortening using a pastry cutter.


In a separate bowl, beat the egg and add in the milk and vanilla.


Combine the egg mixture with the dry ingredients.


Spread into a greased and floured 9" pan. I used 8" and that worked just fine, just because that is what I had, not because I was trying to be a Christmas morning rebel.


Melt the butter and pour over the batter.


Finally combine the sugar, cinnamon and remaining flour and pour over the butter.


Bake in a 425 degree oven for 15 minutes.



1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
 6 tablespoons white sugar
 1/2 teaspoon salt
 1/3 cup shortening
 1/2 cup milk
 1 egg
 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
 2 tablespoons butter, melted
 1/2 cup brown sugar
 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon


Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9 inch square pan.

In a large bowl mix together the flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Cut in the shortening with a pastry blender to the size of small peas.

In a separate small bowl, beat the egg well, then stir in the milk and vanilla. Add the egg-milk mixture to the flour mixture all at once. Stir carefully until just blended.

Pour batter into prepared pan and spread evenly. Drizzle top with melted butter.

In a small bowl mix together brown sugar, 2 tablespoons flour and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon. Sprinkle on top of cake. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake in the preheated oven for 15 to 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.

I love the brown sugar mixture on the top of this cake! It just tastes like Christmas! The batter itself has a hint of vanilla and it just feels like comfort food. It truly just needs a good cup of espresso or a tall glass of cold milk and maybe a cheezy Christmas movie and it would be perfect! Cheers!


























0 comments:

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews