Powered by Blogger.
Sunday, December 29, 2013

Cold Springs Tavern-Santa Barbara, CA

If you are looking for a cool "field trip," with a little history, good food, cocktails and somewhere off the beaten path, Cold Springs Tavern is the place for you. You are driving this windy road in the middle of nowhere off the Highway 154 and you turn a corner, a left to be exact,  only to see a log cabin looking building nestled in the woods. It almost looks like something out of a Hobit movie, with the exception of the row of cars or motorcycles parked outside.


The Cold Springs Tavern is an old stagecoach stop that was built in the 1860's. On the same property there are also several other historic buildings, some originating on the property and others that have been moved to the property. There is the bar that was an old water bottling plant,  an old bunk house that was used by the Chinese immigrants who built the road in that area and the Ojai jail.


According to their web page, they are rated as the BEST place for a romantic getaway in California. I personally would not have used the word "romantic" to describe it, however this is coming from the least romantic person on the place of the Earth. Now that I think about it, I really can't think of any experience that I would describe as "romantic"....ok wait maybe Bora Bora...just sayin'. I would use the following words instead to describe the Cold Springs Tavern-eclectic, fun, original, historical, cool, different, interesting, enthralling, warm and yummy.

The minute you walk into the restaurant you feel like you have stepped back in history. This place was out of control for my A.D.D as every wall has an artifact, picture, game head or other just random thing to look at. They have a few large fireplaces that make it cozy this time of year and just adds to the old school ambiance. Their dining room consists of several rooms, resembling a house, with a mish-mash of different tables and chairs, which add to the appeal. We wandered through a few rooms, looking for a table in front of a large stone fireplace, that was perfect for a cozy lunch.


I have been here twice, both for lunch, and to be honest I don't remember what I ate the first time. However, I was here a few weeks ago and I have been big on exploring game recently, so I decided to try some of their game delicacies. I ordered the Wild Game Black Bean Chili, which has rabbit, venison and buffalo. It was incredible! Full of flavor, spicy but not overpowering and the game was cooked perfectly, not too chewy and there was not a strong gamey flavor, which a lot of people are adverse to.


I also tried the Venison Steak Sandwich, which was also great. It had an incredible charbroiled taste, caramelized onions that were too die for and just good flavor. I do have to caution you, if you are adverse to the chewy texture of venison , you will not care for this sandwich.

We also ordered a Buffalo Burger. I hadn't had buffalo before and I loved it. It kind of reminds me of grass fed beef as the flavor is similar to beef, but it does have a bit of an earthy or herbal flavor to it. Loved it! And they have incredible onion rings if you are a fan!




We were on our way to wine country so we didn't lollygag, however the bar looked like a fun and festive place to just chill and have a few cocktails. They also have live music on some nights. I definitely recommend stopping by this place, especially if you are on your way to the Santa Ynez area. It truly has good food, fun history and is just a fun place to be. Here is the web page to check out the calendar, driving directions and hours: http://www.coldspringtavern.com/index.html

0 comments:

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews