Powered by Blogger.
Thursday, December 5, 2013

5th Day of Christmas: Side Dish-Manchego Almond Brussels Sprouts

I am a side dish fiend. Even at Thanksgiving I am the girl who thinks turkey is pretty cool, but I live for the side dishes! I love the mashed potatoes, stuffing, yams, etc...yes I also love carbs. However, I also love vegetables and brussels sprouts are one of my all time favorites. Brussels sprouts are definitely one of those love 'em or hate 'em foods, people never just think they are "ok." This is a vegetable that seems to bring about passionate reactions in most folks and they are either fierce advocates for or against the cute little cabbage shaped vegetable.



Now if you are a fan here are a few things to remember:

  • They are in season September-February
  • Select brussels sprouts that are tight, compact, feel heavy for their size and have green leaves not yellow and smaller. 
  • Larger brussels sprouts are edible, but they have a more distinct cabbage taste, which not everyone likes
  • Trim the dry part at their base and some people remove the outer layer of leaves
  • It is helpful to select brussels sprouts that are similar in size to allow for even cooking
  • And yes they are named after the place
One of my favorite ways to cook brussels sprouts is to roast them, so when I saw this Rachael Ray recipe for roasted brussels sprouts with Manchego and almonds I knew instantly I was all in. This recipe did not disappoint and it would be the perfect side dish for any holiday meal. I love the roasted flavor of the brussels sprouts, especially with the hint of saltiness when you use rough ground salt for seasoning. I loved the hint of citrus from the lemon zest/juice and the nutty salty flavor from the Manchego.


Now let's talk Manchego for a second. I love cheese, all cheese! I haven't met a cheese I haven't liked. However, Manchego is one of my favorites. I love the texture as it is a hard cheese, but not a so hard you can't cut cheese. It also has a really nutty flavor which is amazing with wine. And I love the word, saying Manchego just makes you feel bad ass! Try it! 


This recipe is incredibly easy for our hectic holiday schedules. Slice the brussels sprouts lengthwise. Season them with olive oil, salt and pepper and place them cut side down on a baking sheet. 


Roast them for 10 minutes in a 450 degree oven. 


Add the sliced almonds and roast for another 5-10 minutes. I did  5 minutes and that was perfect in my opinion. They were starting to turn brown and when I stuck a fork in them they were crunch tender. I personally do not like my brussels sprouts mushy so I go for "crunch tender," yes in my world that is a real phrase. Don't knock it because you know that you all know exactly what I mean by that. 

Put the brussels sprouts and almonds in a bowl and toss with the lemon zest, lemon juice and half the cheese. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on the top. And a little tip reference the cheese use a potato peeler to get that shaved look. 

ingredients
2 pounds Brussels sprouts, halved lengthwise
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
Salt and pepper
1/3 cup sliced almonds
1 lemon, zested, plus 1 tbsp. juice
1 ounce shaved Manchego

directions
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees . On a rimmed baking sheet, toss the Brussels sprouts with the oil. Season, then arrange Brussels sprouts, cut side down. Roast for 10 minutes. Sprinkle the almonds on top; continue roasting until the Brussels sprouts are crisp-tender and beginning to brown and the almonds are toasted, 5 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
Add the lemon zest, lemon juice and half the cheese to the Brussels sprouts. Toss to coat; season. Top with the remaining cheese.

This is also a really pretty dish that would look beautiful on a festive table. Brussels sprouts become even more vibrant green when cooked and they just accentuate any holiday meal. Cheers! 

0 comments:

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews