Powered by Blogger.
Saturday, February 1, 2014

Detox Day #1

So for the month of February I committed to doing this detox with several people from my running club. Part of me thought it sounded insane, however part of me was intrigued, wondering how and if my body would feel different. I have also just felt a little tired and run down from traveling a ton, the holidays and well probably a bit too much wine, so I decided to give it a try.

Today was day #1 and yes, I did pick the shortest month of the year, on a non-leap year for this science experiment. For clarification, I am curious not crazy. So today I was flying back from Vegas after a Britney Spears concert last night and a "good time," so I thought I would be geared up and ready to start cleansing.

To begin with, this morning I woke up in Vegas and went to the gym. I am one of those people who normally does not exercise during vacation, unless I am traveling for a run, so this was out of the ordinary for me. However, I felt like I needed to kick start my detox and sweat out the alcohol from the night before...I mean the hypothetical alcohol.

My bestie and I then went to breakfast and this is where the challenges began. So my detox has me avoiding the following:

  • Dairy
  • Gluten
  • Soy
  • Peanuts
  • Sugar, Honey, Maple Syrup and Artificial Sweeteners
  • Coffee
  • Alcohol
  • All fruit except limes, lemons, green apples and berries
  • Pork
  • Farm Raised Fish
  • Non Cage-Free Eggs
  • Non Free-Range Chicken
  • All Beef, except grass fed
  • White Potatoes
  • Corn 
  • Nitrates
  • MSG
  • Vinegar
I am not exactly sure why it doesn't just say avoid everything because at this point that is pretty much how it felt. Actually to be honest I am not too concerned about the food factor because I can be creative with food, but it is very weird to be cutting out wine. After flying home today, the first thing I wanted to do was have a glass of wine with Miss Kitty to celebrate my homecoming and it was also very odd to be sitting at a Vegas bar with my bestie as she drank a Bloody Mary and I drank water with lime. The lime definitely helps it look more festive, but it doesn't have the same impact as a libation.

Now let me start by saying after day #1 the only observation I have is that I pee a lot. I drank so much water today that I truly think I know where every restroom in Planet Hollywood, the Las Vegas airport and the Burbank airport is located. I am definitely hydrated. 


So for breakfast I had a giant bottle of Pellegrino, figured it would help with hydration and detoxing from the night before. I also had rice, with a hamburger patty and fried eggs over hard. Not your typical breakfast, but it was definitely high in protein and the kitchen was able to easily accommodate my detox by leaving the gravy off....well actually they jacked it up and had to make it a second time, but it worked out in the end.

While waiting for my flight I saw a Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf and under normal circumstances I would have ordered a Chai Tea Latter or a Caramel Macchiato, but I had Lemon Chamomile tea instead, which was good and cozy.

Since I have been gone I have absolutely no food in my house and even less food in the house when I consider the giant "AVOID" list from above. So I had to be creative. I had one sweet potato in the pantry, which I made in the microwave, and I just ate it plain. Sure butter and sour cream would have been like a slice of heaven, but alas that is not on my list.


I also had a half a bag of spinach, some pinto beans and chicken broth. When I was a kid my aunt would make a soup like concoction with cannellini beans and spinach and so I decided to do a variation with my pinto beans. I sauteed the spinach in some olive oil, added the pinto beans and chicken broth and cooked until warm. I seasoned with salt and pepper and voila! I was actually very pleased and impressed with my ingenuity and it had great flavor, it was full of protein and it was filling.

Let the journey begin. I definitely have some apprehension for Day #2 since it is Super Bowl Sunday and I will not be having beer and chicken wings, but alas I will have water and I plan on making some homemade hummus. Cheers...with water!

2 comments:

  1. I was horrified to read that you used a microwave. I threw mine out years ago after reading what it did to food. They are supposed to conserve vitamins and minerals but they damage fatty acids denature protein and destroy antioxidants. You can conserve vitamins and minerals by lightly steaming veg or eating raw. But the detox will be well worth it. I look forward to reading how you do. Sandy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The detox has been wonderful so far. It is the oddest things that I miss and I did have a caffeine withdrawal headache for 3 days, but it is gone now. All and all I feel great and I don't know how I will readjust come March 1st.

      Delete

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews