Powered by Blogger.
Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Just feeling thankful...

I am sitting on the couch with "monkey bread minis" in the oven...OMG is there anything better than the smell of cinnamon and sugar baking? Oh yes there is, it's butter and maple syrup in conjunction with the cinnamon and sugar. I think I am in olfactory heaven! If this smell could be bottled I would bathe in it...how awkward would that be, right?

However, tonight I am feeling happy and thankful. We often take so much for granted and spend so much time in a state of confusion and chaos that once in awhile its important to stop and smell the "monkey bread minis." Who cares about roses...cinnamon and sugar is way better! I truly feel blessed for the amazing family and friends that I have. I love that I have people in my life that I can laugh with, share with and cry with and over the last few weeks these people and my interactions with them have been ones that I have treasured, enjoyed and feel oh so thankful for. Its too often that we don't thank the ones who touch us the most (please get your mind out of the gutter I am actually trying to be sincere here) so thank you to those of you who have made me smile recently...I appreciate you all....you mean the world to me.

Oops don't you hate when you take stuff out of the oven and you forget to turn it off...its ok no fire.



Monkey Bread Minis (this recipe doesn't only smell really good its also fun to make because you get to use your hands...love getting dirty while cooking...currently covered in flour as I write this)

1 1/2 sticks butter, unsalted and chilled (in case you were wondering my husband hates unsalted butter and I really could care less if its salted or unsalted)
3 T maple syrup (confession alert...Mom I did not use pure maple syrup)
1/3 cup plus 2 T granulated sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 T ground cinnamon
2 cups flour
1 T baking powder
1/2 tsp salt (not kosher for baking even though I love kosher salt)
3/4 cup buttermilk, chilled

1. Position a rack in the bottom 3rd of the oven and preheat to 425 degrees. In a small bowl microwave 4 T butter and the maple syrup at high power until melted, 30 seconds and stir. In another small bowl. stir together 1/3 cup granulated sugar, brown sugar and the cinnamon.

2. In a food processor, combine the flour, baking powder, the remaining 2 T sugar and the salt pulse to combine. Cut the remaining 1 stick chilled butter into small pieces and pulse with the flour mixture until coarse crumbs form. Pulse in the buttermilk, until the dough just comes together. Transfer to a lightly floured work surface; pat into a 10" square (the dough will be sticky). Quarter the dough, then cut each quarter into 16 equal pieces; roll into balls.

3. Dip each ball in the maple butter, then coat with the sugar mixture. Place 5-6 coated balls into each muffin cup and press to compact.

4. Bake until cooked through and golden, 15-17 minutes. Transfer the muffin pan to a rack and cool for 10 minutes. Using a knife, loosen the sides of the monkey bread and invert onto a platter then turn right side up. Serve warm.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Danah, It is great to have you join the food bloggers community. Looking forward to read your posts and learn from you:D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome, Danah, If I'm not lazy, I'll make these tomorrow!

    Dave May

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dave, they should hold together if you kind of squish them in the muffin tin.

    ReplyDelete

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews