Powered by Blogger.
Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Meatless Meatloaf

So when I was growing up in lieu of Turkey my Mom would make what she called Meatless Meatloaf. I know that you are all envisioning a soy concoction in a loaf pan...nope its more like hamburger pattie shaped with a sauce and it doesn't taste like meatloaf and it sure doesn't taste like turkey so I am not sure where the name came from. Sorry I don't have photos but we all know my pictures wouldn't look like its supposed to anyway. However, I was talking to my friend earlier in the week about food allergies and some vegetarian entree ideas and I was telling her about this recipe. So here it is:

Meatless Meatloaf

5 eggs (I would imagine for egg allergies you could use egg substitute)
4 oz cream cheese
1 1/2 cups saltines crushed
1/2 cup oatmeal
1/2 cup of chopped walnuts
2 T of dry yeast but my Mom didn't normally put the yeast in hers
1 tsp garlic powder
1 T soy sauce
1 onion minced
"some" parmesan cheese

Mix all together and fry until brown.
For the gravy mix 1 can of cream of mushroom soup and 1 can of cream of celery soup and 1 can of water and pour over patties. However, my Mom would make a gravy out of butter, milk, flour and soy sauce instead.
Bake for 350 with the patties and gravy for 40 min and serve with additional gravy on top

** My Mom would often sautee onions and mushrooms and put it on top as well ***

She would normally serve this with mashed potatoes and use the gravy for both.

Random fact: My Mom says she remembers taking me to a Jewish restaurant in NY and they served a dish similar to this with a different name. However, she can't remember the name of the restaurant or the dish. I said it was a random fact

Also just have to say I love that I am writing a food and wine blog as I drink water and eat top ramen because its 9:30 at night and I am hungry and craving the salt.
Good night all!

0 comments:

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews