Powered by Blogger.
Monday, August 22, 2011

Baking Bandit Strikes Again


So tonight I was incredibly tired when I left work so what do I do....hmmm...sure I would love to climb into bed and put the covers over my head. Ok but you all know me well enough to know that is a fantasy world so instead I go to the gym and drag myself through an hour long spin class...at least it was an 80's music throwback class so that helped a bit. And then I came home and decided to make beef stew...great idea, however another great idea would have been reading the recipe prior to starting this venture...because if you read to oh say line 3 you would have got to the part that said simmer for 2-2 1/2 hours. Yup! So as I write this blog I calculate the hours that I will be awake and waiting for a stew!!! Really? And I have no one to blame but myself. 

Yesterday I was a little more organized in my cooking attempts. After a hockey game in which there was a battle to make the playoffs of a mens recreational hockey game...yes sounds intense I know...complete with F-bombs, elbows and sticks-a-flying I decided to come home and make Root Beer Bundt Cake. 
 I know sounds kind of odd right, but it turned out surprisingly good...very moist and the flavor of the root beer and chocolate really adds a nice contrast in a subtle not overbearing way.


I was also pretty excited when I found the recipe on the Food Network web page because the skill level said "intermediate," and it sounded like something I could do.  I took it to mean that I am definitely progressing in my baking skills...and maybe everyone at work isn't lying to me with the hopes that one day I will get better and if they keep encouraging me someday their lies will pay off. Love you guys...would love to give a shout out to the worlds best guinea pigs!

I do have to say that I don't think my glaze was spot on, however, as it seemed a little more runny and lighter in color than the picture...but it still tasted good and it stuck to the cake...ok it also stuck to the aluminum foil when I transported it to work....but free treats, right.


For some reason I find bundt pans intriguing maybe its the fact that they are reminiscent of the 1950's when women wore aprons and made dessert every night. They also wore dresses, did not have the right to vote and were kind of oppressed but lets focus on the cool designs on the pan. Or maybe its because when I make a bundt cake I don't have to worry about the multi-layered icing or heck layers of cakes too...just not there yet...I am sure if I looked at a multi-layered iced cake recipe that would be "hard" for sure. So I will stick with my bundt cakes for now...enjoying the fact that most of the time you can dump all of the ingredients into one bowl or if its "intermediate" like this recipe you may have to use two bowls. And it comes out already shaped and ready to eat. By the way this recipe also got 5 stars on the web page for whatever its all worth.

If anyone is interested in making this Root Beer Bundt Cake here is the recipe: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/food-network-kitchens/root-beer-bundt-cake-recipe/index.html

And for my final thought of the night or should I say my final thought of the night via blog since I will be awake for another 2 hours waiting on this stew can I ask why some men are so inclined to wear no shirts when they shouldn't? Yesterday at 2 different locations and at 2 separate occasions I saw 2 men who were topless and it was not pretty. Do they just not look in the mirror or do they actually look in the mirror and think "damn I am a sexy bitch?" Also I am looking for a new topic to write my next Examiner article about so if anyone has any inspiration please share...I was thinking of the best Back to School Wine for Mom and Dad but I thought better of it before I started typing. Good night all....please have pleasant dreams of my stew.


3 comments:

  1. Which brand of root beer did you use? The difference between brands is diverse and would definitely affect the taste. As always great story telling!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just used A&W and I didn't even think that the brand would make a difference but good point

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those men were just trying to get the attention of those 300 pound, spandex wearin' honeys!

    ReplyDelete

Visit My Website!

Blog Archive

Total Pageviews